FPS tanks in cities, seemingly mostly on multiplayer?

sbaker10

Specs: Intel 4790K @ 4.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra

For some reason I've noticed particularly it would seem when playing online with a few friends, my FPS will just absolutely tank in the city areas of the game and especially in large POIs located there. I'll go from a 85-120FPS with everything mostly set to high to 25-30FPS upon entering the city and especially when entering large buildings, turning shadows off entirely does help somewhat and seemingly bumps me up to 40-50fps in those areas and sometimes relogging can give me a significant framerate boost as well.  I realize my rig is a little dated however I've also seen people talk about getting 50-60 frames on ULTRA regardless of location with nothing more than a GTX 1060 and a 3770K. I am not hosting the game so that's not a potential cause either.

More importantly it's not just me experiencing the issue, my friend hosting the server was experiencing around 20fps in the same area with a Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB of RAM and a RTX 3080 until I told him to turn shadows off and there were only 3 of us total on the server so he shouldn't be experiencing any potential bottlenecking issues. We did occasionally experience the same issue in Alpha 19 as well when we both had 2080s which is why I knew to turn shadows off.

Are there any settings or ini tweaks to pay special attention to, could some setting be pinging every sleeping zombie in a square kilometer or something perhaps? Even horde nights don't induce the same FPS drop. Perhaps we need to try running on Vulkan?

Edited by sbaker10 (see edit history)