Free Look - Any way to implement, either as a quick fix or with it being added to the game?

ricp

* For those unsure, 'free look' means you remain stationary and the camera moves around - rather than the current situation where you have to turn to face the thing you want to look at.

I'm guessing all of us here play other FPS games. The vast majority of them have 'free look' functionality, as it is a big QoL addition. My question is whether there is a way to implement it as things stand (vanilla) or possibly with mods? Ideally, I'd like to see it added to the base game. We've all experienced the "dancing round a tree while cutting it down" as a way to keep a 360' range of vision, or strafing across a field because you want to keep an eye on something while also wanting to move in a different direction.

In many ways it is a pretty simple thing to implement, so I'm surprised it's not in the game yet.

Having free look while driving has been very nice but I've never thought about needing it while on foot.  I've been doing the dance or strafing around in order to see what I need to see while running.  While driving it is just holding down right click on the mouse to get free look but I'm not sure what it would be for while on foot since that is also the power attack button.  They would just have to assign the action to another button that isn't currently being used.  I wouldn't see why they couldn't do it though.  Seems simple enough.

14 minutes ago, Sjustus548 said:

Having free look while driving has been very nice but I've never thought about needing it while on foot.  I've been doing the dance or strafing around in order to see what I need to see while running.  While driving it is just holding down right click on the mouse to get free look but I'm not sure what it would be for while on foot since that is also the power attack button.  They would just have to assign the action to another button that isn't currently being used.  I wouldn't see why they couldn't do it though.  Seems simple enough.

Yeah, sorry I should have clarified I wasn't meaning in a vehicle.

Edit: In regard to the keybind, not that it makes any difference, my preference is [Alt]

Edited by ricp (see edit history)