Changing Light in Biome (Wasteland) is that possible? (solved!)

Krisrennt

Hello there,

Sorry for asking this question, but I have searched the internet for a mod but did only find one that is very old and is for the snow biome. My question is: Is it possible to change the lightning in the Wasteland biome? Maybe have the same light (or similar) like the green biome? Because I find the transition driving from the green biome into the wasteland too drastic. Its getting too dark - even its "good weather" and I have problem with my eyes. I changed the biomes.xml files as much as I could and saw that there is some "particleeffect" in the weather options. Does that darken the biome?

Thank you for reading this and maybe one of you have some idea. I dont mind having different weather in the biomes, but the transition is for me a little bit too much.

Edited by Krisrennt (see edit history)

Some guesses (not tested). 

In biomes.xml...

1. There's this line in the "wasteland biome"

<spectrum name="burnt_forest"/>

Try changing this to *either* of these:

<spectrum name="snow"/>
<spectrum name="desert"/>

2. If the change above doesn't help a lot, the weather in the wasteland is not nice most of the time. Try changing this section to get rid of some of the cloud cover (most of the time):

<weather name="default" prob="80">
  <Temperature min="50" max="90" prob="1"/>
  <CloudThickness min="0" max="0" prob="30"/>
  <CloudThickness min="10" max="70" prob="70"/>
  <Precipitation min="0" max="0" prob="1"/>
  <Fog min="0" max="5" prob="1"/>
  <Wind min="7" max="20" prob="1"/>
</weather>

change:

<CloudThickness min="10" max="70" prob="70"/> 

to:

<CloudThickness min="10" max="40" prob="70"/>

and you can lower the "40" more if it gets too cloudy

If this still isn't enough brightness, you can try messing with a different file: worldglobal.xml BUT I don't know how to change it to definitely get the day "brighter", AND it will change brightness for all biomes. I've just messed with it to get the night darker.. Anyway look at these lines:

<!-- day, night -->
<property name="ambientEquatorScale" value=".7, .45"/>
<property name="ambientGroundScale" value=".3, .05"/>

Maybe try changing the first number in each to 1?  you'll have to fiddle with it, but I believe the valid values for these numbers are 0 -> 1 (with 2 decimal places if you use them)  Basically, I think this makes the horizon brighter or "higher up/down" which may add some light?

Finally: if all of these aren't bright enough, you can try increasing the brightness in the game settings.. like only when in that biome (yeah, just adding for completeness).  Another weird option would be to wear the night vision goggles in the wasteland.  There is/was also a nightvision goggles mod that was "red" and not "green" goggles like the vanilla game and it was brighter when using the modded one.

On 2/1/2022 at 5:19 AM, doughphunghus said:

Some guesses (not tested). 

In biomes.xml...

1. There's this line in the "wasteland biome"

<spectrum name="burnt_forest"/>

Try changing this to *either* of these:

<spectrum name="snow"/>
<spectrum name="desert"/>

I changed the spectrum "burnt_forest" into "desert" and its working great!!!

Would not have thought that it could be changed so easily. Thank you!

• Krisrennt changed the title to Changing Light in Biome (Wasteland) is that possible? (solved!)