Is there a performance hit whilst hosting?

Hockallz

Hi all, 

I know this might be a daft question but I wasn't sure so thought I'd check as playing solo it seems more stable.

I do play with a couple of mods; Khaine's Wandering Hordes Frequency mod and Dangerous Cities. 

My specs:

i7 10700k

6700XT

16GB RAM

I run it at 1440p with most settings @ ultra

I host for my friend and I last night especially I was struggling for FPS, getting around 50fps and quite bad stuttering.  Performance was fine to begin with but over time it seemed to get worse, not sure if this is a bug or just performance from the unoptimized game.

Any thoughts would be welcome!

I may be wrong, so do your own tests, but my guess would be dynamic meshes are the main cause of your stuttering, At least I seem to have noticed no major FPS drops in cities since I turned that off one play session ago.

It is a new tab in the video config menu, easy to miss. New feature, still needs some care.

If not, another one I would try is occlusion on or off.

Another thing is if you are server and client in one, 16G could actually be a problem as there might still be memory leaks (but turning off dynamic meshes might help here too(??)). If you notice the stuttering only after one or two hours of gameplay then frequent restarts may be the solution until the next stable hopefully improves the situation.

19 hours ago, meganoth said:

I may be wrong, so do your own tests, but my guess would be dynamic meshes are the main cause of your stuttering, At least I seem to have noticed no major FPS drops in cities since I turned that off one play session ago.

It is a new tab in the video config menu, easy to miss. New feature, still needs some care.

If not, another one I would try is occlusion on or off.

Another thing is if you are server and client in one, 16G could actually be a problem as there might still be memory leaks (but turning off dynamic meshes might help here too(??)). If you notice the stuttering only after one or two hours of gameplay then frequent restarts may be the solution until the next stable hopefully improves the situation.

Thanks for the reply :) I've had dynamic mesh switched off for a while for exactly that reason, in cities the FPS drop was insane. 

I have tried occlusion both on and off, in my experience running with it on makes the game a lot more stable.

I am the server and a client in one and I suspect that's the reason for the drops, after a couple of hours the FPS loss is noticeable, something like a 25% drop. I will be doubling up my RAM in the near future but it seems the restarts may be the way to go for now. I'm pretty convinced there is a memory leak in the game which I hope gets looked at in the future.