Old Cash vs. Dukes

PoppaTot

Precursor: this doesn't actually bother me, I'm just curious.

I was just thinking after raiding an ATM. What is the point of old cash in the game if we are just selling them for dukes?  If old cash has a duke value then why is it not used as a currency itself still?

EDIT: missed a word

Edited by PoppaTot (see edit history)

Old Cash is,  just that,  currency issued before the fall of civilisation due to the zombie menace/apocalypse.  The traders buy it at a slightly inflated rate of Dukes, with the probably reasoning that whoever the "Duke of Navezgane" really is,  He doesn't completely control all trading,  which means that somewhere,  there is a supply chain that still only accepts  Old World Dollars.  hence,  that still gives cash currency a value in this new world of zombie chaos.

1 minute ago, PoppaTot said:

hmm, I like this thought.  Essentially The Duke buys up old currency to have a monopoly.  I hadn't thought of that.  Well done.

Read to me more like Jen, Joel, Hugh, Rekt, and Bob trade the regional currency, Dukes, for old cash which they then turn around and use the old cash to purchase things from other regions that might not use Dukes as their local currency but still place a value on old cash.

8 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

Read to me more like Jen, Joel, Hugh, Rekt, and Bob trade the regional currency, Dukes, for old cash which they then turn around and use the old cash to purchase things from other regions that might not use Dukes as their local currency but still place a value on old cash.

That's plausible as well.  I interpreted it the other way, but this makes sense as well.  I still feel like it makes sense that it's only a matter of time until The Duke tries to muscle out the other currencies.