7 Days to Die RWG POI Compare Tool

FastEddy4

I created a powershell script that I wanted to share that can be used to compare the POIs in the 7 Days to Die Prefabs\POIs folder against the prefabs.xml file in your RWG world to show you what POIs are included in and missing from your RWG world.  In the Prefabs\POIs folder is an xml for each POI, these xml files contain a property called DifficultyTier.  I pull this info out of the xml file for each POI and put that info into an array with the POI name.  In your RWG world folder in a prefabs.xml file that contains every POI in your RWG world.  I pull the list of POI names from this xml file and compare it to the previous array to check for matching and missing POI names.  The results of this comparison can be output to the console of powershell or output as a text file.  I am only comparing unique names and not counting duplicate POIs in the RWG world.  If any of you are interested in this tool you can access it here https://github.com/FastEddy1114/7DaysToDie-POI-Compare-Tool screenshots are also included at the github site @madmole can maybe confirm that my logic here is correct for comparing vanilla POIs or any POIs for that matter from the Prefabs\POIs folder with the prefabs.xml file from a RWG world.

Edited by FastEddy4
change title to make more clear what tool is for (see edit history)

• FastEddy4 changed the title to 7 Days to Die RWG POI Compare Tool

Thanks very much FastEddy! This is a darned useful tool when trying to grasp the changes that have been made in the move to A20.   I edited the paths per the script, and they seem to work just fine, but something seemed wrong - I had a scrolling red error complaining about a parameter not being found,  so I did some checking, and found my Powershell was pretty old. After downloading and installing the x64 version 7.2.1 msi from MS - this tool ran perfectly, producing exactly the right output needed to easily track or control missing POIs.  Beautiful!

20 minutes ago, paulj_3 said:

Thanks very much FastEddy! This is a darned useful tool when trying to grasp the changes that have been made in the move to A20.   I edited the paths per the script, and they seem to work just fine, but something seemed wrong - I had a scrolling red error complaining about a parameter not being found,  so I did some checking, and found my Powershell was pretty old. After downloading and installing the x64 version 7.2.1 msi from MS - this tool ran perfectly, producing exactly the right output needed to easily track or control missing POIs.  Beautiful!

You're welcome, I'm glad you have found it useful!  I was hoping someone else out there besides me would.  I created the script in Powershell 7.2.1 and have not tested it in older versions.  As you experienced errors running it in an older version (I'd assume the built-in Windows OS version 5.1)  I'd say it's safe to say the script requires at least version 7.0 to run successfully.  In the readme on the github page I do include a link to the latest Powershell downloads from MS to help out those who may need to update their Powershell.

Yeah - saw the link Eddie, and downloaded it - but for an MS 'system-type' app, I prefer an msi,
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/scripting/install/installing-powershell-on-windows?view=powershell-7.2
as it'll do all the things that I would have to read up on in order to do...  besides, I'm old and lazy, and, well, keystrokes are work aren't they?   👴

ATB

pj

Edited by paulj_3 (see edit history)