Item Icons for a20

Oberion

So can you not make a custom icon for Items? or am I just doing something wrong?

<append xpath="/items">
        <item name="FryingPan">
        <property name="CustomIcon" value="diamondaxe"/>
        <property name="CreativeMode" value="Player"/>
        <property name="HoldType" value="45"/>
        <property name="Meshfile" value="#Other/Items?Misc/sackPrefab.prefab"/>
        <property name="DropMeshfile" value="#Other/Items?Misc/sack_droppedPrefab.prefab"/>
        <property name="Material" value="Miron"/>
        <property name="Stacknumber" value="250"/> <!-- STK loot -->
        <property name="EconomicValue" value="26"/>
        <property name="Group" value="Tools/Traps,Food/Cooking"/>
        <property name="ItemTypeIcon" value="campfire"/>
        <effect_group tiered="false">
        <passive_effect name="CraftingTime" operation="base_set" value="10" tags="boiledWater"/>
    </effect_group>

</item>        
    </append>

Based on your  XML, is the icon named "diamondaxe.png" e.g. "mod root//UIAtlases/ItemIconAtlas/diamondaxe.png"?

- is the icon size 116x80?

- Are the folders and file diamondaxe.png all *exactly* cased as written above?

- Is your "ModInfo.xml" file *exactly* cased to be "ModInfo.xml"? Mods may not load if the casing is not exact.

- Did you close the game all the way down after making changes, like shut it down so you have to launch it from Steam again.  I've seen some changes that require this but I don't know what they all are (Changes to Localization.txt may need this, but have not checked in a20).

- Do you have *any* other mods loaded?  Only test/dev 1 mod at a time (unless you're testing all mods you wrote :) ) Sometimes other mods will remove/change things your mod may depend on.

If so, you might need to check the game log for errors loading the mod, or, alternatively you might be able to start the game from steam and hit "F1" to bring up the dev console.  Watch it as the game loads, and then start a game and watch it load.  it should indicate your mod loaded, and you shouldn't see any warnings or errors related to you rmod (you may see some warnings errors that are normal game loading).  The dev console may not be too responsive when the game is loading, so wait until you are in game to scroll and real it.

EDIT: I have no idea, but you might want to put

<property name="CreativeMode" value="Player"/>

as the first property of the item.  the game does it for most items I think.  I'm not 100% sure but *some* properties may be position dependent or "special" to work properly, similar to how some properties don't "inherit" when extending from other classes/items/blocks (so you have to always add them).  This could all be BS info just what I believe... I don't have a chart or anything to refer to. I normally try to copy an existing item in the game, change the name so its unique, and then make a change (like the icon) to make sure it works first (in this case: the icon is formatted and being read correctly, the mod folders and structure work and the game will load it)  as I've struggled quite a bit with making stuff and its usually some small mistake I made.

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)