Lever action rifle Fumble

S0M3D1CK

I personally love the idea of a lever action rifle, but the biggest thing that screws up both balance and realism is the ammunition type. When I seen 762 as the ammunition type I felt the nerd rage. Pointed ammunition cannot be used in a lever action due to the potential of primer detonation in the magazine tube. Also a large number of these rifles are chambered in 44 mag. I think from a balance perspective it would be nice to see another ammunition type be used in the rifle group. I hope this change is considered.

Edited by S0M3D1CK (see edit history)

2 hours ago, S0M3D1CK said:

I personally love the idea of a lever action rifle, but the biggest thing that screws up both balance and realism is the ammunition type. When I seen 762 as the ammunition type I felt the nerd rage. Pointed ammunition cannot be used in a lever action due to the potential of primer detonation in the magazine tube. 

Henry USA says Hold my beer

https://www.henryusa.com/caliber/308-win-7-62x51-nato/

The .308 is very similar size to the 7.62.  Also, if you are having issues using pointed ammunition in a lever action rifle, it is because you are using a lever action rifle not designed for that type of ammo.   Box style lever action rifles typically use spitzer ammo (pointed) while tubular magazines can use spitzer ammo but you don't want to fully load them (one in the chamber, one in the tube).

From a game standpoint, I don't think TFP want to introduce another ammo type, especially for only one gun.  So like being able to load 14 shells in a pump action shotgun but only seeing 2 being loaded, we get the 7.62 lever action rifle  😉

22 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

Henry USA says Hold my beer

https://www.henryusa.com/caliber/308-win-7-62x51-nato/

The .308 is very similar size to the 7.62.  Also, if you are having issues using pointed ammunition in a lever action rifle, it is because you are using a lever action rifle not designed for that type of ammo.   Box style lever action rifles typically use spitzer ammo (pointed) while tubular magazines can use spitzer ammo but you don't want to fully load them (one in the chamber, one in the tube).

From a game standpoint, I don't think TFP want to introduce another ammo type, especially for only one gun.  So like being able to load 14 shells in a pump action shotgun but only seeing 2 being loaded, we get the 7.62 lever action rifle  😉

44 magnum is already in the game

I doubt that they will chamber the 44 magnum though (I can be wrong).  Based on what they have done, they stick to one type of round (or two in the case of the pistols) for the guns in the series.

All shotguns use the same size shells.  One line of pistol weapons use the 9 mm while the other line uses 44 magnum.  The rifles and assault weapons all use the 7.62 mm round.

I haven't seen the animation yet for the lever action rifle, and the only images I found on it are early designs of it.  I can't tell from the pictures if it is a tube fed action or a box mag fed action., but to me it looks like mag fed.  madmole stated the rifle was inspired by an old winchester lever action rifle and based on the art, it looks like the 1895 model was the inspiration.  It was a box mag fed rifle.

@BFT2020 is correct that different lever action rifles can be chambered in a variety of rounds including 7.62.

However, I too was originally hoping for a classic .44 cal lever action added as a side tier rifle similar to how the SMG is for pistols. I thought it would add some versatility to perception and provide another use for .44 ammo.

That said I didn't really think it would happen so I'm pretty happy we're getting one at all. I don't even think I'll upgrade to the sniper rifle! 🙂