more letters for wooden signs?

kanealpha

An interesting question...maybe this will help. I'm not 100% sure, but I did a little testing:

in /Config/XUi/controls.xml there is this section around line 949 (in the A19.6 current build):

<sign_text_area>
		<rect depth="1" controller="TextInput" pos="6,-6" width="294" height="120" value="SEARCH"
		active_text_color="[white]" caret_color="[white]" selection_color="[mediumGrey_half_alpha]" on_return="NewLine"
			character_limit="100" validation="none" on_press="true" style="select" snapCursor="true" virtual_keyboard_prompt="vkPromptSignText">
			<sprite depth="0" name="background" color="[transparent]" type="sliced"/>
			<label depth="1" name="text" pos="0,-2" justify="center" pivot="topleft" font_size="46"/>
		</rect>
	</sign_text_area>

Changing this part in the "label" line:

font_size="46"

appears to make the "smallest wooden editable player craftable sign" text to be smaller.  I played around trying to make it really small ( like font size "12" ) and the text becomes invisible on my screen.  I didn't mess around with values too much, nor other signs so maybe I'm imagining its making the text smaller,

Also: I'm not sure if you made a sign and added text ( at one font size) then closed the game, changed the font, and then relaunched the same map and then looked at the sign you made if the change would be reflected on the old sign, or will only take place on newly placed/created signs. I had some odd results when testing (I wanted to change the text color, personally, and failed to do so) and I don't have a lot of time to puzzle it all out :(

There's the "character_limit" setting as well... but from experience on the smaller signs the text simply won't fit on them (up to 100 characters) with the vanilla font size, so maybe that's just a setting to set a limit so people won't set it to a million chars and break the game. but maybe a smaller font will allow more than this on the biggest sign?

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

a vague idea... it appears its been changed up... as a guess I searched all the XMl files in /Config/ for "virtual_keyboard_prompt" and I found this, which looks like teh only one related to signs... "windowSignEdit", which is likely the "window" that pops up to handle sign editing

I found this in windows.xml

<window name="windowSignEdit" pos="400, 83" width="306" height="166" panel="right" controller="SignWindow" cursor_area="true">
		<panel name="header" height="43" depth="1" backgroundspritename="ui_game_panel_header">
			<sprite depth="2" name="windowIcon" style="icon32px" pos="4,-5" sprite="ui_game_symbol_pen"/>
			<label style="header.name" text="SIGN" text_key="xuiSign" width="100" />
		</panel>
		<rect name="content" pos="0,-46" height="117" depth="1">
			<sprite depth="8" name="backgroundMain" sprite="menu_empty3px" pos="0,0" width="306" height="117" color="[black]" type="sliced" fillcenter="false" />
			<sprite color="[darkGrey]" type="sliced" />
			<textfield name="input" pos="6,-6" width="294" height="105" font_size="30" on_return="NewLine" virtual_keyboard_prompt="vkPromptSignText" open_vk_on_open="true" close_group_on_tab="true" />
		</rect>
		<rect name="btnClose" depth="3" pos="0, -161" height="42" >
			<sprite depth="8" name="backgroundMain" sprite="menu_empty3px" color="[black]" type="sliced" fillcenter="false" />
			<sprite depth="2" name="background" pos="3,-3" sprite="menu_empty" width="152" height="32" color="[darkGrey]" type="sliced" />
			<rect depth="3" pos="0,0" height="42">
				<button name="clickable" sprite="menu_empty" defaultcolor="[mediumGrey]" hoversprite="ui_game_select_row" hovercolor="[white]" type="sliced" hoverscale="1.0"/>

<label depth="2" name="windowName" pos="0,-1" justify="center" text="CLOSE" text_key="xuiClose" font_size="36" />
			</rect>
		</rect>
	</window>