Hunger in Alpha 19.5

ungkor

I do have to say, that after I pretty much spent the first 5 days trying to avoid starvation (the dig quests saved me, thanks for the tip, I normally don't bother with missions at all) that I enjoy this version more than most, just due to being stuck in the stone age for much longer. A bit of a challenge at last, really.

Also, it took me a while to get a farm running, I just couldn't find seeds anywhere and I hadn't even come across a corn field until week 2. It does give me  bit of a sense of purpose, hunting for seeds.

Of course, once one has a farm going and is able to craft enough meat stews, the food is no longer an issue.

Anyway, it seems I had made a mistake trying to loot all the kitchens at first. That's not where the food is. There's much more food to be had in the food piles throughout the POIs.

Conclusion: Yeah, the food consumption is a bit out of whack, but I like it.

Personally, I think food balance just requires more potential for "failure".  For instance:

1. Crops returning nothing to some maximum each time instead of always a minimum amount
  2. Crafting food items sometimes creates inferior or inedible items
  3. Can goods can sometimes be spoiled
  4. Food poisoning should be an accumulated state, so the more bad food you eat the worse your condition gets.
  5. Reviving from death should start you out hungry (or at least not full)

All of these things could have perks to help mediate the negative effects.  There are lots of other things that could be done, of course.

But my point is that right now it is too easy to make your food and water supply irrelevant, which it would never be in a "real" zombie apocalypse, at least as long as the zombies are arround.