Do clients automatically download mods from a server?

moosemilker

I connected to a server (my server - haha) and saw some mod content as a client that did not have an explicit "Mods" folder at the client level. It looked like the content came through (a 200 slot backpack at least), but I am not sure all of the content was delivered? I have no idea how this works in 7DTD.

image.png

I know other games like ARK automatically send Mods to the client, but ARK developers implemented this via the associated Steam workshop. DayZ is another game that clients receive all Mods while joining the server, but again, it comes from the game's Steam workshop. If it works at all in 7DTD, it must come from the game server...

The server runs all of these:
2SP
Ammo stacks
BetterBirdnestLootMid
Lam mod master
Lam Smelter mod
Lam's 200 slot backpack
Lam's Crafting Speed
Lam's Crafting Tier mod
Lam's Experience mod
Lam's Gold Digger
Lam's Health mod
Lam's increased modslot
Lam's Looter Extraordinary
Lam's Nailgun mod
Lam's Power tool mod
Lam's Stamina mod
Lam's Zombie harvest mod
Lyss_Candy_Loot
PhD Better Lights 3.3 (A19)

Ana_Vehicle_Respawner

Most of these are game changing mods at the server level.

Thanks!

You won't get mods, as mods, from the server.  Anything on your mods dir is your local copy of stuff, and doesn't relate.

What the server does is resolve (apply) the mods to its xml config files, then push the finalized configs to the client when they connect.  I'm not sure you can even see them, as a client.  If you want to see what applied, and what didn't, you'll need to grant your client-self rights to use the console, and dump the configs from memory.  I can't recall the command, but type "help" in the console, and the command was pretty obvious when I saw it.

That will dump them to a special folder, which I think is under your roaming dir?  It tells you the path when you run it.  Then you can open the xml files and it even inserts handy comments that let you know what lines were added/modified by which mod.

Archived