Unable to join dedicated servers?

Sulophian

Hey guys,

Been playing the game for a few days now hosting my own game via P2P and we've been having fun / no issues with my wife joining and playing with me. I was also able to successfully connect to other P2P games over the internet.  For some reason though when I try to connect to any dedicated server, I just get "Connecting to server....." forever.  No matter how long I wait it never moves from this or starts initializing the game.  

Things I've tried so far:

1. Verify game cache

2. Tried about 50 different rando servers, no success.

3. Friend restarted his particular server and made sure settings were correct.

4. Connected to another P2P player without issue.

5. I do not have any antivirus programs installed or running.

6. Game does not seem to be creating any logs files for the attempted game joins, only log I found was for the P2P game I joined.  Seems like it isn't even trying to connect.

Quick system specs:

AMD Ryzen 2700X

Nvidia 2060 RTX

32GB RAM

M.2 SSD

PC is connected directly to router via ethernet

Anyone seen this before or have any ideas?

Do you have enough diskspace? Are the game folders write protected or with quotas?

Maybe your ISP is blocking for some types of communication high-schools do that sometimes, if that's the case you'll need vpn connection to your friend or to an dedicated server you'r paying for.

gl

1 hour ago, baziez said:

Do you have enough diskspace? Are the game folders write protected or with quotas?

Maybe your ISP is blocking for some types of communication high-schools do that sometimes, if that's the case you'll need vpn connection to your friend or to an dedicated server you'r paying for.

gl

Looks like a VPN connection solved it.  Don't really know why since it's a standard home connection through Comcast, and all other games work no problem.  Oh well, I'd rather pay for a VPN than try to explain to tier 1 Comcast support why their servers are blocking specific video game traffic.

2 hours ago, Sulophian said:

Looks like a VPN connection solved it.  Don't really know why since it's a standard home connection through Comcast, and all other games work no problem.  Oh well, I'd rather pay for a VPN than try to explain to tier 1 Comcast support why their servers are blocking specific video game traffic.

If you have a Comcast modem, then that is very likely the issue. Comcast has been removing NAT-loopback/redirect from devices. Why they have chosed to do this I have no idea. It does make it difficult to join servers or P2P games that are within your network as they will not show in the Steam server list. This is because the server list is using the external IP address, and without the NAT-loopback/redirect feature you cannot see your external IP from inside your network.

The workaround is to either use VPN that blocks local network traffic, or to direct-connect via local IP.

2 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

If you have a Comcast modem, then that is very likely the issue. Comcast has been removing NAT-loopback/redirect from devices. Why they have chosed to do this I have no idea. It does make it difficult to join servers or P2P games that are within your network as they will not show in the Steam server list. This is because the server list is using the external IP address, and without the NAT-loopback/redirect feature you cannot see your external IP from inside your network.

The workaround is to either use VPN that blocks local network traffic, or to direct-connect via local IP.

I actually have my own modem, not a comcast issued one (Motorola MG7540).  We're also using a mesh network for wifi, though the gaming pcs are not connected to that at all.  I had initially suspected it being a double NAT problem but ruled that out by killing the mesh.

Archived