A question about Forges

Grolbu

Over in the A18-2-b5 bug reporting thread we got

Please have an eye on:

#3 A known issue being worked on in regards to the chuck reset/base deletion issue some of you have unfortunately seen.

This is a result of forges getting bugged with too many resources.

Moving your forge to a location away from your main base may be a good idea until this is fixed.

which is excellent news, I'm so sick of starting again because the part of my base where all the benches and chests are has vanished. It happened again last night so I'm just starting over yet again and was very pleased to see this in the bug reports.

A couple of questions though :

Do forges need to be protected (i.e. in a closed building) or can I just put down a block in the middle of a field and put a forge on it ?

Is there a way of seeing in-game where the edges of the chunks are so I can tell when I'm no longer in the same chunk as my base (maybe something tricky with the heat level) ? If I'm in a town is every building on a seperate chunk so I could literally just put the forge next door ?

Thanks

I just read that if I go into debug mode then hit F8 a few times one of the things that appears is the number of the chunk I'm in - that's probably the easiest way to see where the edge is, if it still works, it's from a post on Steam from nearly 4 years ago. Will try that tonight.

A couple of questions though :

Do forges need to be protected (i.e. in a closed building) or can I just put down a block in the middle of a field and put a forge on it ?

Is there a way of seeing in-game where the edges of the chunks are so I can tell when I'm no longer in the same chunk as my base (maybe something tricky with the heat level) ? If I'm in a town is every building on a seperate chunk so I could literally just put the forge next door ?

Thanks

Forge will be fine. Though when leaving a forge in the wild I usually bury it. Dig a hole 2 deep, stick the forge in and fire it up. Plug the hole with a haybale or wood frame and come back later. Just so some random zombie won't get hung up on it and start whacking on it.

Can't help you with your second question. Your idea about putting it next door might well work but careful it doesn't get reset with a trader quest...

Forge will be fine. Though when leaving a forge in the wild I usually bury it. Dig a hole 2 deep, stick the forge in and fire it up. Plug the hole with a haybale or wood frame and come back later. Just so some random zombie won't get hung up on it and start whacking on it.

Did exactly that, plugged it with a wood frame, worked a treat, thank you !

I turned on debug and hit F8 twice and got heat map coordinates and went just far enough for one number to change plus a couple more squares, was surprisingly close. I've also come up with a new 'policy' of pulling everything out of the forge and not smelting and crafting at the same time, so far it's working ,,,

Archived