Fast Travel as placeholder for vehicles

Roland

The game used to have stars on the map that you could select to be a spawn point. People would use those and suicide to fast travel around the map. They and the suicide button have since been removed but it got me thinking since we now have such a huge world to traverse. What if we could craft bikes as fast travel devices until such time as vehicles are added to the game. So you craft a bike and you place it. Then you press E to activate it which brings up the map. You set a waypoint which brings up a message letting you know how long it will take to travel there. If you are willing you press okay and a timer counts down. Once it is done you are now at your selected location. Not perfect and not very fun but a placeholder. It would allow us to get around a bit faster without having to worry about making the world load fast enough or whatnot. Then when vehicles are going to be added you can remove the fast travel. You can even make it unavailable to people with broken legs or dysentary and you could make it deplete all their stamina so they are dead tired once they get there. Or if you want it to be a motor bike you could have it cost fuel.

I suggested a similar mechanic but using radios; hand radios and ham radio stations as the destination point. It wouldn't actually be "fast" travel (no vehicle involved) but it would have the same effect of instantly traveling somewhere. I realize fast travel is kinda game breaking, but as said above people already suicide-by-zombie in order to warp home. In fact, when one of my friends died ingame a while back the advice given to him by his brother was to "keep dying against zombies until you are closer." I figure that's more story breaking than some sort of fast travel system.

Archived