No LAN games while in offline mode?

Swiftpaw

I know someone who would buy the game so he could play only LAN games with it because he can't use the Internet, but it seems that 7 Days to Die won't let you connect to LAN games while Steam is in offline mode. Is there a way to fix this? Why did The Fun Pimps specifically grey out the "Join a server" option while in offline mode when LAN play is possible? They're literally forgoing some support from those like him who have no option but to play LAN-only games.

It's because Steam authentication is required on the server when you join it. This is part of standard anti-piracy activities from Steam. Most Steam games with multiplayer network capabilities require this, and it has been an industry standard for many years now.

No, other Steam games like Dying Light, which we'll be getting for him instead, allow you to play on LAN games while in offline mode. 7DtD doesn't, yet allows you to play single player in offline mode, so that's a half-measure that makes no sense. It's also often the other way around, where games don't allow you to play single player, but allow you to connect to multiplayer games. Regardless, DRM can all die anyway, and I can't send The Fun Pimps more support money then because of this since there doesn't appear to be any kind of workaround for this issue. I guess they want it that way so I'll take my additional support money elsewhere.

Archived