Thoughts on Current State of A18

Prodigy

1. Food Poisoning - I believe this should be altered to a sort of damage-over-time mechanic. I realize this is a game, not a direct translation of real life. But it feels awkward to have food touch my lips, and instantly puke and ♥♥♥♥ everything I've eaten the last two days. This can also be particularly punishing if it happens to be one of your last food items. How about something to the effect of 500% faster food/drink degradation for X minutes or game days? This would also give the option to make it treatable (via both teas and medicines, which would further add benefit for focusing in those areas).
  2. Progression System - I'm sure there's been plenty said about the speed. Well, I'm going to add a bit to that. My issue is a combo of the speed, and the excessively high attribute-gating of many of the more fun and interesting mechanics. I know you were aiming for "make level ups feel earned." I think this missed the mark. I rarely feel like, "Hey, I got a level-up! Awesome!" I typically feel like, "I just leveled up... but f'ck me, I still need 6 more to unlock [enter skill here]!!" My opinion: Get rid of the actual attribute perks and the attribute-gates. Increase upper-tier skill costs to counter balance, but this way, at least every time you level up or use skills - it will feel like you've actually accomplished something. Not like 3/4 of your time is wasted dealing with what essentially amounts to an alternative to level requirement grinding. Also. To compensate for removing the attributes (which give +10% headshot, +5% dismemberment), have each perk in that category, also give something to the effect of +2% headshot damage, +1% dismemberment. That way, when you spend your points in one of these categories, you still over time increase the effectiveness with their weapon-sets.
  3. Infection Counter - I believe all bashing melee weapons should remove infection. I'm pretty sure I could knock your teeth out if I hit you in the mouth - but I'm ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ed positive I could do it if I hit you in the mouth with a sledgehammer or a big-ass branch. :-) In addition, maybe I'm entirely off here, but I believe the brawler is too powerful in comparison to other melee classes. There is minimal reason to go with any other melee when it comes to effectiveness. Damage is good, speed is top-tier, unlocking it also unlocks all prerequisites for Pain Tolerance + Healing Factor (which is a god-tier combo), on top of being the only weapon that removes infection chances. These other weapons need a level playing field.
  4. Junk Turret - Let us reload this thing on the ground, please. Not a drive-by, insta-reload. But make it take the same length of time as the reload animation takes if we were to do it in-hand, and lock us in place while it happens. That way, obviously, there's some assumed risk in reloading. But it seems sensible and much smoother to do it this way. Also... please, for the love of god, knock the attribute-gate down a couple notches. As the INT build's ONLY ranged weapon, it would be lovely to not have to bury 6 skill points in prerequisites, just to open up the option of leveling the turret? (or, if you get rid of the attribute perks as I mentioned above... no problem. Just make each level take 2 skill points or something.)
  5. Schematics - Consider making schematics (not perks, just schematics) unlock the ability to craft components required for the "parts" requiring items. Hear me out before throwing rocks... If you have basic knowledge with a gun (i.e. you've "skilled" up in it), you understand how to dissassemble, reassemble and upkeep some of the main components (i.e. craft and repair it)... But if you get the instruction manual, engineering drawings, etc. (i.e. schematics), providing you have the tools (i.e. workbench), you know the sizes, dimensions, etc. needed to design those components (i.e. craft parts). This would also make the schematic desireable even after/if you've perked into a certain skill.

1. agreed to some extent, I think there should be a small immediate issue (lose say...20 food points) and then start the "illness" part like you've described, the loss of the 20 is just the immediate stomach reaction to bad food, voiding what you JUST ate and possibly a little more

2. 50/50 here, I like the pseudo classes attributes make

3. I think you have a point there, but every other weapon besides fists have a range over a brawlers fists...maybe if brawlers get a small trade off for being so close? (maybe increase stagger but not knockdown chance per hit, I mean I am throwing my body weight into each punch, I don't wanna die)

4. I can totally agree with this, it wouldn't add too much to the turret, and maybe setting the INT to 4 instead of 6(7?) for turret bonus start would make a little more sense

5.Once you find the schematic you could make, for example...steel tool parts? (would have to make a recipe balancing to make sure its not too harsh, and yet not too light) I honestly like how it is ATM, but the idea has merit

2. 50/50 here, I like the pseudo classes attributes make

3. maybe if brawlers get a small trade off for being so close? (maybe increase stagger but not knockdown chance per hit, I mean I am throwing my body weight into each punch, I don't wanna die)

5.Once you find the schematic you could make, for example...steel tool parts?

2) I like the idea of having the perks in different "groups" to sort of create classes - I just feel it gives you more creative freedom and makes your skill points feel like they all matter, instead of wasting so many on stats that really don't benefit you. For example, if you're playing a sledgehammer wielding construction worker... Do you want to waste 17 points leveling the Fortitude attribute that improves fist damage... just so you can get Healing Factor or something? Or if you're playing a stun-baton wielding mechanical engineer... do you want to waste 17 level ups boosting the agility stat.. just to unlock Flurry of Blows? That's the sort of "wasted level ups" that I feel we could eliminate by getting rid fo the attribute perks. Even if we cranked EXP down to compensate so we didn't level up as quick, at least every level up would feel important and worthwhile, instead of just every third or fourth level up.

3. Brawlers could definitely use something to that effect. Or make attack speed go up along with perking it up? Basically, when you start, you're a little street fighter. When you master it, you're Muhammad Ali?

5. Yep! That's exactly what I'm going for. When you find the schematics, you can learn to craft the steel tool parts, handgun parts, etc. A reason to make the schematic desireable even if you perk into something.

Archived