Icons and...

New to the modding scene and wondering how any of you make or update icons and textures for your mods? I would like to make my own but, as of this point in my mod, I'm reduced to using in-game icons and tweaking the colors for variation. I want to add things like Twine and Ingots to the game but have ZERO 0 NONE NADA talent as far as visual art goes... Any tips of which programs to use or how best to make at least the icons for items?

In a17 the icons are 116x80 in .png format and go in a /mods/modnamegoeshere/icons folder.

If the icon matches the item or block name exactly (case sensitive) the new icon is used. If not then the blocks.xml or items.xml needs to point to the icon name.

Thank you for the prompt response but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. I can get all of my new items to use the icons I have. My question is more along the lines of "Where do you get and/or make your icons (and keep in mind I have no talent for graphic design)?" I like the worn out look of the current icons in the game but I've no idea how to make a new one...?

Like screenshots of a real example of said item? Like a bundle of rope from google images, removed the background, and resize? It can't be that simple?

What program do you use for this? I currently have been toying with GIMP but is there a better option?

Archived