Making Quests: your thoughts

Jhonmicky

Welcome. There are 5 tiers of quests in total. Each time you do enough quests of one tier, you graduate to the next. The quests become harder with bigger POIs, but the quest rewards get better with each tier. RWG has major influence on the type of POIs that can be selected as the quest target. As of now, RWG isn't adding all POIs to the map, at least from my experience. TFP are working on this. If you want more diverse sets of quest POIs, look up NitroGen. It's a tool made by Damocles that does a great job of creating a RWG map that includes all the POIs. This in turn allows more variation in choosing your location. For example, with vanilla RWG I would see tier 5 quests would always send me to the 6 floor apartment building. But with the NitroGen-built map, I see the hospital, crack-a-book, dishong tower, a few factories, etc. I don't have the full list at hand, but suffice it to say there is plenty more variation.

I noticed in an earlier alpha (17.2?) that clear quests had a chance of being unfinished at the tier 5 level, but I am having no trouble with them now. It should be fixed. The only one that eludes me from time to time is the vulture. Sometimes it will look like the z should be in the room with me when it is on the roof above or it's flying below me.

AFAIK, logging out mid-quest causes it to become inactive (at least that happened to me the last time).

I agree the rewards tend to not be worth it when you get to 5th tier, since you can already make better tools/weapons by then, which is why I only loot tools/weapons but do not make them (self-imposed restriction to make scavenging/questing more fun). I'm sure TFP will improve it come A18.

Good luck!

I noticed in an earlier alpha (17.2?) that clear quests had a chance of being unfinished at the tier 5 level, but I am having no trouble with them now. It should be fixed. The only one that eludes me from time to time is the vulture. Sometimes it will look like the z should be in the room with me when it is on the roof above or it's flying below me.

It also happened to me that I had to search a long time for the last zombie because he either still slept or it was a vulture that flew around the building.

I do the quests mostly just for fun. Since I kill most zombies in close combat, my ammo consumption is very low.

I'm actually already at the T5 quests but I'm currently going back to the T3 and T4 quests because you always get the same buildings at the T5 quests. As far as I know there are only 4 T5 buildings.

It also happened to me that I had to search a long time for the last zombie because he either still slept or it was a vulture that flew around the building.

I do the quests mostly just for fun. Since I kill most zombies in close combat, my ammo consumption is very low.

I'm actually already at the T5 quests but I'm currently going back to the T3 and T4 quests because you always get the same buildings at the T5 quests. As far as I know there are only 4 T5 buildings.

I'm at about level 180 in my game and am finding it really fun to stealth shoot them with the silencer attached to pistol/marksman rifle, pistol for ferals, rifle for radiated. I remember reading a lot of hate toward the silencer not working and waking all the z's in the area, but it works best if fully perked into noise reduction and all armor equips the advanced muffled connectors. The clear quests almost feel like cheating because we know where they are, but it's payback for them honing in on us during BM. I also like to mix in T3/T4 quests, but generally don't do clear quests on those because I want to be surprised as much as possible by z placement. Can't be too surprised when you know all the POIs inside out. Although, I notice that on the NitroGen maps that there are enough variations of POIs that still have me guessing and breaking through the floor. I will never forget some of them (6 floor apartment, I'm looking at you). So much fun to be had.

I'm at about level 180 in my game and am finding it really fun to stealth shoot them with the silencer attached to pistol/marksman rifle, pistol for ferals, rifle for radiated.

I use the crossbow as a long-range weapon when I play stealth. When I played on the Navezgane map, I often chose the hospital for the T5 quests. The stealth gameplay really paid off there.

I remember reading a lot of hate toward the silencer not working and waking all the z's in the area, but it works best if fully perked into noise reduction and all armor equips the advanced muffled connectors.

Noises in 7 Days are a strange thing anyway.

On the one hand you can shoot a sleeper with a shotgun without a silencer and the other zombies don't wake up.

On the other hand I step on a piece of paper and the whole house is awake.

The clear quests almost feel like cheating because we know where they are, but it's payback for them honing in on us during BM. I also like to mix in T3/T4 quests, but generally don't do clear quests on those because I want to be surprised as much as possible by z placement. Can't be too surprised when you know all the POIs inside out.

I do the T3 and T4 quests mainly because I have more variety in the buildings. I've also found some new buildings that I've never seen before.

I try to avoid clear quests especially at the factories because they are too confusing for me. I don't pay attention to the compass most of the time anyway, and it's also not very helpful in complex buildings like the waterworks.

But the compass is helpful when it comes to finding the last zombies. Probably that's why the developers built it in. It would be very frustrating to spend hours searching for the last zombie and it's a vulture flying around.

Although, I notice that on the NitroGen maps that there are enough variations of POIs that still have me guessing and breaking through the floor. I will never forget some of them (6 floor apartment, I'm looking at you). So much fun to be had.

I had my 8k map generated by the game. There I mostly have the choice between the Shamway factory and the apartment building. I prefer the apartment building because it has a clearer path.

As for breaking through the floor, the Shamway factory wins here. If you've never done the building before, you should do a clear quest there. Enjoy the room at the top with the strong zombies.

Noises in 7 Days are a strange thing anyway.

On the one hand you can shoot a sleeper with a shotgun without a silencer and the other zombies don't wake up.

On the other hand I step on a piece of paper and the whole house is awake.

So true. It's funny that zombies that have spawned but haven't yet registered as red dots on the compass don't react to shotgun blasts. I usually take full advantage of that:smile-new:. I hope the noises get balanced soon.

I do the T3 and T4 quests mainly because I have more variety in the buildings. I've also found some new buildings that I've never seen before.

I try to avoid clear quests especially at the factories because they are too confusing for me. I don't pay attention to the compass most of the time anyway, and it's also not very helpful in complex buildings like the waterworks.

But the compass is helpful when it comes to finding the last zombies. Probably that's why the developers built it in. It would be very frustrating to spend hours searching for the last zombie and it's a vulture flying around.

Agreed.

I had my 8k map generated by the game. There I mostly have the choice between the Shamway factory and the apartment building. I prefer the apartment building because it has a clearer path.

As for breaking through the floor, the Shamway factory wins here. If you've never done the building before, you should do a clear quest there. Enjoy the room at the top with the strong zombies.

I remember doing shamfactory once, but don't remember the traps. I just meant that by doing the apartment so many times I've committed that trap to memory.

I remember doing shamfactory once, but don't remember the traps. I just meant that by doing the apartment so many times I've committed that trap to memory.

The room on the roof with the strong zombies has an entrance above the zombies. You think you can easily shoot the zombies from there. But one step in and you're down in the middle of the zombies. :)

Archived