Turrets ! (Yes another thread about turrets)

sgtwisky

So after hearing that workshops and cars are likely to come after A10 is finished. It got me thinking about other possibilities for a workshop. Turrets came to mind pretty fast and I figured I would share some of my ideas on how they could be implemented. [B]The simple "trap" turret.[/B] This turret is very simple to construct. You build a stand to place a weapon on. You then possition the weapon to face down a hall and tilt the weapon so that it fires in the approximate area you want. For example a sawed off shot gun should likely be aimed at center mass while a pistol or rifle may be better used to attempt a head shot. Once you possition the weapon and provide one magazine of ammo its ready to fire. BUT its not going to fire on its own. You will need to setup a "trip wire". You place a wire onto the ground. When a zombie walks over it it will cause the weapon to fire a single shot. Each time a zombie walks over it the weapon will fire again until it runs out of ammo. The weapon that is setup for this can also be subject to durability. To connect the wire to the weapon/stand it should be within a reasonable distance of the stand. say 7-8 blocks. How you would designate what stand was to what wire I am not sure. Maybe some kind of selection tool? Like the repair tool? [B] The Remote Turret[/B] This turret is somewhat advanced. It would likely require certain skills from the skill tree before a person could craft it. As IRL it would require basic knowledge of motors and electric circuits. This knowledge CAN be gleaned from reading a book or two IRL too so using books would be possible. The idea is similar to the Trap Turret in that you setup a stand with a weapon of your choosing. The weapon is still subject to durability and its Magdalene capacity. However the stand will require more materials to make. You will need 2 small electric motors, scrap metal for the stand itself and a video camera. The camera and motors could be rare items to scavenge. But the player would still need the ability to put all this together. The turret then needs a "control station" The control station will require scrap metal, a few electric circuits, a screen and a joystick. Most of these could also be scavenger items. Maybe screens could be made from the TVs we find in homes. You would use a similar method to connect the control station to the turret stand (whatever that method is). Once connected you can control the turret with the joystick and the screen. Game wise you're view would be moved to the iron sights of the gun stand and you could rotate the gun left/right (rotation could be given a limitation of degrees or allowed a full 360) as well as alter the tilt up and down. This turret could NOT fire on its own. It requires a player to control it. Due to the limited ammo capacity of most guns in this game I think it could be cool to find a really rare .50 cal MG that could be mounted, then "upgraded" by adding an ammo box with ammo belt to it. Allowing you to put lots of ammo for this particular weapon in at once. This would still effect the durability and you would still have to find the ammo. OH and a final note... The turret stand would require a fully charged car battery OR generator and would drain the battery while you moved it or shot it. each action could take a small amount of power out of the battery. The control station could be ether powered with a battery OR generator. The pimps have said they may have a way to charge batteries and that generators will have a radius of effect so this design should work nicely with that. [B]Fully Automatic Base Defense Turret[/B] This bad boy can only be constructed with some very rare materials and only by a player that has high enough skills that are applicable to its construction. I would suggest some kind of "tech" and "electronics" skills for this. The gun/stand would be constructed together. As such not only the gun but the stand would lose durability. It would require the weapon that its based off of. lets say sniper, .50 cal or SMG. The stand would hold an appropriate amount of ammo for each type. This turret would require constant power from a generator as well as many rare components to be built into it. such as motion detection. Lets assume that it also would use some kind if IR device to detect weather a friend or foe was tripping the motion detector off. For the sake of the game we will say that the player + friends will magicly have a little IR tag on them. These are similar to the things in stores that make the alarm go off when you try to walk out the door. They are self sustaining as far as power so no need to worry about that. This turret would target "threats". It would of course determine that ANYTHING without an IR (you or those on your friends list) is an enemy. and begin shooting at them. weather its a zombie, rabbet or a random player. This means its best placed INSIDE your base to protect after a breach. placing such a turret on the outer walls means its going to use a lot of ammo shooting things you may not want it to shoot. It will also take durability hits by shooting at every random target. The repair cost and construction cost for this should be pretty big. If a player puts one on their outer wall they should be paying big time on metal and ammo to keep it running. not to mention the amount of power it would require. And THAT my fellow survivors is how I would implement turrets. You get a range from poor hobo's defense all the way to Advanced Defense Technician. And over all I think that the pros could be offset with the cost of ammo, power and durability. Also another point to make is that the turrets should alert zombies and zombies should try to get to them when that happens.... so depending on your placement they may actually cause more harm then actual defense. Thoughts?

I don't know, right now the game already seems too easy... I would like a really rudimentary turret, just to clean the randoms spawns around my base, and help a little with hordes. Was thinking about a 90° turret, with a rifle or shotgun, that could shoot every 5 or 10 seconds. And I think that you would had to find one first, to learn how to make it. Maybe when the talent trees come, and if the game gets more harder, your ideas would be really nice ^^.

I know this game will eventually go down the turret route but I can only hope that it won't be imperative to the game. Turrets generate a number of problems. First there need to be a lot more zombies/unfriendlies to warrant something like that. Second, the noise generated from a turret should be not unlike using a chainsaw or auger. An almost instant draw of more things it will need to dispatch. So basically I can see it solving and creating its own problem. I'd probably rather a mounted chaingun(manual fire), ballista, or other device meant for large scale destruction.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived