How do I properly run a seed map?

I apologize in advance if this has been asked before.. but I have made the effort to find it on the forums and various Google searches only to come away confused due to game version or platform. As a FYI I am running the latest version on PC.

I wanted to try and play some of the seeded maps people have recommended and I would like to know how to do so. Some say the game name must be the seed name. I have seen in the options that I am able to pick a random map and it asks for the seed. That is where I have been entering the seed. Is this correct or should the game name also be the seed name? I have also seen that you have to pick a certain map and put the seed in as well. Again, I am confused.

Thank you in advance. Just started playing lately and thus the question.

If you're just playing your own local game, you can go to Random World Gen as your world type, then into the advanced generator and put in your seed. Though I'm not sure if you now have to put in the same size of map. Probably not. But that's where you put in the seed.

Thank you for your reply. I do play solo as well as multiplayer. Is this method also valid for playing on-line with a friend when generating the map we play -- Meaning I don't have to have the game name the same as the seed name?

Thank you for your reply. I do play solo as well as multiplayer. Is this method also valid for playing on-line with a friend when generating the map we play -- Meaning I don't have to have the game name the same as the seed name?

As Kresdja said, the game name is for multiplayer (posting your server I believe) and for keeping track of your saves.

If you're hosting a server, there's an XML configuration entry for a Seed Name. Used only when you start the server for the very first time and generate the map. I suspect you're not hosting on some website though.

If you're hosting a game just by firing up 7D2D and publishing your game so your friend can find the game, then you'd use the Advanced Generator like I mentioned.

And no worries. Happy to help. :)

Archived