FPS killing Blocks in Prefabs

Blackrook

Working on some larger prefabs and wondering...

Has anyone done any tests or has a list of which blocks/decorations to avoid in large prefabs, where too many of them might cause severe FPS drops?

Not sure if Glass is still bad - used to be a hospital in the compo pack (back a few alphas ago) which made my pc crawl to stop. Other decorations that might cause problems?

Thanks.

Cobblestone unfortunately is particularly terrible on framerate. But if you look at it you can understand why, it's a complex Texture comparatively

I've fobd that the metal walkway aka diamond plate is also real rough on fps.

one way you can test textures/blocks for yourself is to go start a small test map In the world previewer tool, or find a big flat space in a Map with few trees. And no buildings nearby, basically avoiding anything that would effect performance outside the textures you're testing.

put down a nice 31x31+ grid/foundation of user placed blocks on the ground, then use the Dev paintbrush found in the creative menu and start testing textures.

For added measures I'd try to place a single wall at least 6 blcks high on the 31x31 grid and a torch nearby. Some textures really change client performance big time when they are reflecting light/forchlight. Also The dev paint brush has a spray painting option That will cover a MASSIVE area, so it's easy to quickly get all the blocks painted.

Thanks, I did do a couple of tests before I read TopAce's reply.

In the prefab editor I build one of the strips of shops, then placed a bit chunk of 3 deep 30 x 100 wall with different blocks in front of it.

But I didn't think to try with different lighting, will have another go.

Archived