Blood Moon horde behaviour?

Ghostlight

We are trying various new base designs, and do not want to exploit the AI with infinite loops. We are thinking of the following but it's a big commitment and a brand new approach for us, so I do not want to commit to this unless it will work as intended. Does anyone know what the zombies will do on horde night with the following base design....

1) We plan 4 towers, each 8x8 Steel, arranged in a 2x2 pattern like the face of a die. 8 blocks between each tower.

2) On top of all that will be a large "apron" of iron bars on which we will walk (bit like an oil rig). Bars will extend up to make a complete cage to avoid vultures. You can reach this platform with a ladder inside each tower, accessed from an underground tunnel network.

3) On the ground below the iron cage are many spike traps.

4) In between each tower pair will be 4 blade traps.

5) In between each tower pair we will run 6 electric fences (the posts being lined along the wall inside the towers).

The hope is the zombies will run around down there in the middle of the 4 towers, scattered, and will not focus on any particular tower. We hope to move around on our platform to move them around below us.

Or will they just hit a point in one of the towers then swarm to there? :(

In my experience zombies during a blood moon will typically 'lock on' to a player and GPS right towards them using the path of least resistance, attacking buildings if they can't reach that player. In my last blood moon they focused on me, which meant they totally ignored my friend shooting in the bunker and changed their behavior entirely based on what they thought was the fastest way to get to me. If I stood in the bunker, which featured a long hallway full of barbed wire but otherwise unobstructed, they would run right down the hallway and only attack buildings when they piled up to the extent they couldn't fit in the hallway anymore. If I stood on top of the bunker though, they would see no valid path and begin attacking the walls immediately.

I'm unsure how many of these behaviors will apply to your situation, but it might help you plan.

Their current AI will find the past of least resistance and pile on that point. Thus there is very little point in building a castle; you will find that virtually all of your base is untouched and pristine, just with a single hole in the wall. A17 zombie AI sucks badly.

if you move around between towers and stay most of time in midle, zombies should pile up mostly under you. some will hit tower walls too. my first horde base was rubble house corner. i added poles to missing corner and built cage above. i filled middle part with 2 layers of spikes and did put 2 high around walls too. it worked pretty well. wall and pole got minimum damage.

Archived