• Heatmap goes into lock, Screamer's scream doesn't call in Zombies

White-Gandalf

Summary:

Heat quits going up despite huge number of - deliberately created - heat sources.

The screams of screamers quits calling in zombies. Either after a few had worked or even straight from the start.

Game Version: A20.3 (b3)

Platform: PC

OS/Version: Windows

CPU Model: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X

System Memory: 64 GB

GPU Model and VRAM: nVidia RTX 2060 S 8 GB

Screen Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Video Settings: Custom (at about Medium)

Game mode: SP, RWG

Did you wipe old saves? Yes

Did you start a new game? Yes

Did you validate your files? Yes

Are you using any mods? Yes

EAC off

Bug Description:

In my current series ("Kill 10 K Challenge"), i tried to deliberately make use of screamer hordes. I tried to create screamer avalanches the same way as they appeared "naturally" in the last episode of my series 4 in Alpha 20.

This is how screamer avalanches SHOULD and sometimes (well: always as long as you do NOT need them) DO work:

This is how screamers a completely bugged (always when you want them):

In detail about the bugs:

(1) Firstly, the heatmap is bugged on its own. The heat, which is displayed in debug mode after double-pressing F8, "nearly reliable" goes into a kind of "lock", where it does not change on it's own despite having a huge amount of heat sources running.

In this state, the heatmap reliably goes up by exactly 5% every time i put even a single sheet of wood into a campfire - independently from what other heat sources are burning. Thus, in this "lock mode" of the heatmap, i am able to reliably and repeatably create heat-wraps (and this screamer spawns) by placing and firing a wooden piece into a campfire exactly 20 times in a raw. As seen repeatedly in the video.

Expected behavior is: Depending on the number and strength of heat sources (and calculating in their decay rates), the "heat" sum in the respective "heat shunk" should CONTINUOUSLY go up till wrapping around at 100% AS LONG AS the heat sources are burning.

(2) Secondly, IF the heat has a wrap around at 100%, a screamer should ALWAYS RELIABLY be spawned. As seen in the video, at more than 50% of cases no screamer spawns at all. It LOOKS AS IF the screamer spawn as well goes into a kind of "lockdown", after which NEVER ANY screamer is spawned until restart of the game.

(3) Thirdly, IF a screamer got spawned, this screamers screams reliably always go into a kind of "lockdown" as well. It is variable, after HOW MANY screams this lockdown initiates, but the lockdown is encountered RELIABLY and ALWAYS with EVERY try. I had a screamer that didn't spawn a single zombie (after which i declared the challenge as unsolvable by my approach), as well as some that spawned up to a handful of waves. But never did a screamer call in waves nonstop. Never was the spawning reliable.

Expected behavior: Screamer SHOULD call in new waves of zombies with every scream thy emit (at the moment usually every 15 seconds as long as they see the player).

(4) Fourthly, if some of the described lockdown bugs take effect, the bugs should vanish after restart of the game. Current behavior is, that the bugs vanish SOMETIMES, but not reliably and not always completely if at all. As seen in the video.

Detailed steps to reproduce the bug: see second video!

Actual result: complex, that's why see description!

Expected result: complex, that's why see description!

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

2 is definitely intended, there's a (if i recall the percentage correctly) 50% chance for a screamer to spawn or not spawn when it hits the threshold. 

3 I am pretty sure that's intended but I'll dbl check

The rest ill look into.

Please one bug per report though, it makes it confusing because if I confirm it and put it in confirmed someone will think all of these are confirmed bugs, including the ones that aren't bugs but intended by design :)

Bump.
    If you use the Auger underground by 16 block, heatmap locks as well. No zombies ever spawn till you are topside and use aug.
    Even checked the server logs and NO zombies spawned in 2 IRL hours of digging with an auger at full blast.
    Perhaps it might be easier to replicate the lock by going underground?

I also have the issue with screamers performing full scream but not summoning swarms (and the oposite, where animation DOESNT trigger but hordes come anyway.)
    May simply be broken animation for screamer/scream.... Could be both heatmap issue and screamers.

I have confirmed there's a limit on the number of times screamers will spawn and/or scream before they stop.

The lock I tried investigating for a long while to no avail. 

Yeah, 

On 5/21/2022 at 12:10 PM, Pichii said:

If you use the Auger underground by 16 block, heatmap locks as well. No zombies ever spawn till you are topside and use aug.

This is something I made a ticket on a while back. Scouts will fail to spawn if you're too far underground/close to bedrock.

The heatmap/screamer spawn system seems to be complicated; I got busy with other work and will come back to this. The only thing I haven't confirmed here is the heat lock.

On 6/8/2022 at 4:00 PM, Jugginator said:

I have confirmed there's a limit on the number of times screamers will spawn and/or scream before they stop.

The lock I tried investigating for a long while to no avail. 

Yeah, 

This is something I made a ticket on a while back. Scouts will fail to spawn if you're too far underground/close to bedrock.

The heatmap/screamer spawn system seems to be complicated; I got busy with other work and will come back to this. The only thing I haven't confirmed here is the heat lock.

I think what I meant by heat lock was that no zombies spawn on topside to check you or if they do, dont wander to correct coordnates.
    I had an ally stand above where I was augering for 30 IRL min and didnt see anything spawn or come towards the location.
    However, less than 60s above ground and I typically get the 1-3 till scout horde/horde spawns thus why I felt like there was a heatmap issue.

I would also like to note im still able to do this in the A20.6b EXP patch.

Though, Ive only tested for 15m rather than 30 since A20.6b