• Buried Supplies chest Tier 1, 2 and 3 can accidentally collapse and result in quest failing.

Blake_

Summary: Buried Supplies chest Tier 1, 2 and 3 can accidentally collapse and result in quest failing. It can happen accidentally or even by digging next to the chest in a weird structural imtegrity calculation or by previously digging the very same space in which the chest spawns.

Game Version: a20 b218

Platform: PC

OS/Version: Windows.

Game mode: ALL

Did you wipe old saves? Yes.

Did you start a new game? Yes.

Did you validate your files? Yes.

Are you using any mods? Never.

EAC on or off? Off.

Bug Description: Buried Supplies chest Tier 1, 2 and 3 can accidentally collapse and result in quest failing.

Detailed steps to reproduce the bug:

1) Accept a Buried supplies quest tier 1, 2 or 3.

2)Go to the place and notice that when you get close to the chest you can make it collapse digging the blocks surrounding it.

3) Without accepting the exclamation it might also be possible to force a collapse : Notice that this issue could in theory also be produced if you dig all the area 7 blocks deep below the quest before accepting, then accept and the chest spawns and collapses instantly (Unknown if that can also happen in a20, but the issue here is that the chest itself musn't collapse under any circumstance to prevent cheap fails, it should float like the satchel)

Actual result: Buried supplies chests can collapse and be destroyed in various situations when they should not. The reason for failing those quests should be death or leaving the area as intended. Not losing a nearly-indestructible chest in a weird collapse.

Expected result: Buried supplies chests should float and should not have Structural Integrity code at all. Exactly like the satchel in Fetch quests. They should also respawn in the event of being destroyed if they do not do so already.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Just tested Reproduce step number 3 (the before-exclamation issue) . It still happens in a20 b218.

1. Take a Buried Supplies quest from the trader:

1.thumb.jpg.d5269702d1f06b2b3491b2817143d6e4.jpg

2. Go to the Buried Supplies' quest location:

2.thumb.jpg.a2e074a3f1980edef63c23ff24d91289.jpg

3.Dig before hitting the exclamation (to ensure 100%  quest failure just dig all the area 5-7 blocks deep with whatever is faster).

3.thumb.jpg.839764b0be17304754d6fa9e2d2ace2e.jpg

4.Notice the floating exclamation. Not hit accept and see the chest appear and fall and break into iron. You failed the quest.

4.thumb.jpg.5cdc2d0c6c9ad2bbc096f82e3f9149ff.jpg

Expected result: Chest should just spawn and float in that location if this happens. So it shouldn't have structural integrity code nor physics at all, like the Fetch quests' satchel.

Edit: Typo on the previous post: 

4. "Now" hit accept and see the chest appear and fall and break into iron.

This doesn't seem like an issue that would come into play unless it was forced, as evidenced by your provided scenarios. Floating chest aren't an intended design for this particular quest. Thanks!

4 hours ago, TSBX said:

This doesn't seem like an issue that would come into play unless it was forced, as evidenced by your provided scenarios. Floating chest aren't an intended design for this particular quest. Thanks!

It wasn't forced. That second post was just for show, to show you what happen and to reproduce the issue 100% like you guys claim to love. It actually happened to me by breaking a rock right next to the chest. And you now how diamond blocks go in 7dtd: you might think it's on the side but it's whatever and this issue will happen much more now that players force the circle to farm zds.

Please, reactivate the bug, and ask Lathan about it, because it doesn't make sense to lose a chest like that. Neither realistic nor common sense. It doesn't even turn into a bag, you just lose the quest instantly. 

Please. The satchel doesn't make sense either, but the design is clear and it floats to avoid precissely THIs issue. Ask the team before you dismiss this one, because it became an important issue for the circle-zd farming players in a20.

Thank you for your concern, however I'm not going to discuss internal procedure with you. Just know that I did bring it up in a group setting and spoke with Lathan about the intended design before doing anything with your report. Thanks!

2 hours ago, TSBX said:

Thank you for your concern, however I'm not going to discuss internal procedure with you. Just know that I did bring it up in a group setting and spoke with Lathan about the intended design before doing anything with your report. Thanks!

Oh, I know, I spoke to Lathan. He deems buried supplies too lenient already to do that, which I agree. So as far as realism go, while not very accurate, it's just another way in which things can go wrong. I get that, even if it's "cheap".

BUT ! Just remember, if you do plenty of quests and eventually the chest spawns in the same place which you already digged, then it WILL fail. Bug then. Hence why I'm insisting so much.

On 12/11/2021 at 10:11 AM, Blake_ said:

BUT ! Just remember, if you do plenty of quests and eventually the chest spawns in the same place which you already digged, then it WILL fail. Bug then. Hence why I'm insisting so much.

Ok, this MIGHT be the use case not covered, or it might actually be covered so that there is no possible way for a dig quest to spawn in the same location twice, I don't know.  

What I do know is that TFP changed this on purpose specifically because(at least in part that is) due to people(lol, mostly because at least some of The Fun Pimps themselves do it) using Dynamite rather than digging.   With the addition of the chance spawns each x blocks players really need to be down in the hole so to  speak.

1 hour ago, JoeDaFrogman said:

Ok, this MIGHT be the use case not covered, or it might actually be covered so that there is no possible way for a dig quest to spawn in the same location twice, I don't know.  

What I do know is that TFP changed this on purpose specifically because(at least in part that is) due to people(lol, mostly because at least some of The Fun Pimps themselves do it) using Dynamite rather than digging.   With the addition of the chance spawns each x blocks players really need to be down in the hole so to  speak.

True. I actually meant Multiplayer you can actually get repeated quests in the same place and if you digged a bit the chest insta-collapses (because it spawns in the exact same place across players). Also, digging before hitting the exclamation can result in insta collapse. And ALSO, taking the buried supplies before the other stuff inside and exiting the inventory makes all the content disappear along with the chest.

Everything can be solved by just making the chest not have physics like the Fetch satchel. And when the player takes everything inside it should banish, period. Somehow TFP are still thinking about it. Let's not "bury" such a well "supplied" topic. You dig the suggestion, don't you? 

Dynamite isn't abundant in a normal gameplay. To each their own. Why waste in the quest when you can use to dig something else? It's emergent gameplay though, and players are allowed to use it at their own risk. The chest collapsing is ridiculous, not realistic and a cheap move to maybe avoid... what exactly? emergent gameplay with dynamite? 

(To be clear, making the chest float isn't realistic either, but you fix ALL the edge cases, which is a good trade off).