• Error when trying to sell to a vending machine

bdubyah
    • Version: 1.0b333

This is related to modding the game, though is something that worked fine before 1.0. Many modders have made custom vending machines, or even faked a trader using a block setup using the VendingMachine class. But in 1.0 you will get an NRE if you try to sell to one of these vending machines. The error is:

2024-08-04T23:34:07 85.406 ERR [XUi] Error while updating window group 'backpack':
    2024-08-04T23:34:07 85.409 EXC Object reference not set to an instance of an object
      at ItemActionEntrySell.OnActivated () [0x0060e] in <40e9b6e9762f43cf836123d0f549ad32>:0 
      at XUiC_ItemActionEntry.OnPressAction (XUiController _sender, System.Int32 _mouseButton) [0x00041] in <40e9b6e9762f43cf836123d0f549ad32>:0 
      at XUiController.OnPressed (System.Int32 _mouseButton) [0x0000e] in <40e9b6e9762f43cf836123d0f549ad32>:0 
      at XUiController.Pressed (System.Int32 _mouseButton) [0x00000] in <40e9b6e9762f43cf836123d0f549ad32>:0 
      at XUiC_ItemActionList.Update (System.Single _dt) [0x001a7] in <40e9b6e9762f43cf836123d0f549ad32>:0 
      at XUiController.Update (System.Single _dt) [0x00084] in <40e9b6e9762f43cf836123d0f549ad32>:0 
      at XUiController.Update (System.Single _dt) [0x00084] in <40e9b6e9762f43cf836123d0f549ad32>:0 
      at XUiC_InfoWindow.Update (System.Single _dt) [0x00000] in <40e9b6e9762f43cf836123d0f549ad32>:0 
      at XUiC_ItemInfoWindow.Update (System.Single _dt) [0x00000] in <40e9b6e9762f43cf836123d0f549ad32>:0 
      at XUi.OnUpdateDeltaTime (System.Single updateDeltaTime) [0x00159] in <40e9b6e9762f43cf836123d0f549ad32>:0 
    UnityEngine.StackTraceUtility:ExtractStringFromException(Object)
    Log:Exception(Exception)
    XUi:OnUpdateDeltaTime(Single)
    XUiUpdater:Update()
    XUiUpdateHelper:LateUpdate()

A fellow modder, IDC, looked into this and found that the game now assumes if you are selling items, you must be at a trader, since in vanilla that's really the only time you sell things. But this doesn't apply to mods of course. I know this won't be a priority but would be nice if it could get fixed in vanilla. IDC was kind enough to put together a small patch that sorts it, which looks like:

[HarmonyPatch(typeof(ItemActionEntrySell))]
        public class Patch_ItemActionEntrySell {

[HarmonyTranspiler]
            [HarmonyPatch("OnActivated")]
            public static IEnumerable OnActivated(IEnumerable<CodeInstruction> instructions) {
                var codes = new List<CodeInstruction>(instructions);
                int start = 0, end = 0;

for (int i = 0; i < codes.Count; i++) {
                    start = i;
                    if (!(codes[i].opcode == OpCodes.Call)) continue;
                    if (!(codes[i].operand is MethodInfo methodInfo && methodInfo.Name == "get_Current")) continue;
                    if (++i >= codes.Count) break;
                    if (!(codes[i].opcode == OpCodes.Ldarg_0)) continue;
                    if (!(codes[i].opcode == OpCodes.Call)) continue;
                    if (!(codes[i].operand is MethodInfo methodInfo1 && methodInfo1.Name == "get_ItemController")) continue;
                    if (!(codes[i].opcode == OpCodes.Callvirt)) continue;
                    if (!(codes[i].opcode == OpCodes.Ldfld)) continue;
                    if (!(codes[i].operand is FieldInfo fi && fi.Name == "Trader")) continue;
                    if (!(codes[i].opcode == OpCodes.Ldfld)) continue;
                    if (!(codes[i].operand is FieldInfo fi1 && fi1.Name == "TraderEntity")) continue;
                    if (!(codes[i].operand is MethodInfo methodInfo2 && methodInfo2.Name == "get_EntityName")) continue;
                    if (!(codes[i].opcode == OpCodes.Ldloc_S)) continue;
                    if (!(codes[i].operand is MethodInfo methodInfo3 && methodInfo3.Name == "SoldItems")) continue;
                    end = i;
                    codes[start].opcode = OpCodes.Nop; //NOP this one because its the target of a branch.
                    codes.RemoveRange(start + 1, (end - start) - 1);
                    codes.Insert(++start, new CodeInstruction(OpCodes.Ldarg_0));
                    codes.Insert(++start, new CodeInstruction(OpCodes.Ldloc, 13));
                    codes.Insert(++start, new CodeInstruction(OpCodes.Callvirt, AccessTools.Method("Patch_ItemActionEntrySell:CountSoldItem")));
                    Log.Out("[IDCSellingFix] Patching done");
                }

return codes;
            }

public static void CountSoldItem(ItemActionEntrySell __instance, int count) {
                if (__instance.ItemController.xui.Trader.TraderEntity != null && __instance.ItemController.xui.Trader.TraderEntity.EntityName != null) { 
                    QuestEventManager.Current.SoldItems(__instance.ItemController.xui.Trader.TraderEntity.EntityName, count);
                } 
            }
        }

So it isn't a terribly difficult fix. The issue of course with his fix is it means you need a dll included with your mod, with means it is no longer EAC compatible. Not an issue for some, but it is for quite a few. So again, I understand it isn't a vanilla issue, but if someone could give it a look when time permits and see if it can be fixed, that would be great. Thanks. :)

Oh, and since it says a log is required: https://pastebin.com/8E2ivdWe

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

To add to this. The issue stems from the lack of a null check in ItemActionEntrySell.OnActivated.

This line of code specifically.

QuestEventManager.Current.SoldItems(base.ItemController.xui.Trader.TraderEntity.EntityName, count);

With vending machines, the field access to TraderEntity will return null with a vending machine. My patch fixes that by simply adding that null check.

Thank you for reporting. I was able to reproduce this by setting allow_sell to true in traders.xml for a vending machine and trying to sell to the vending machine. I've written up an internal ticket for it.

Edited by NekoPawtato (see edit history)

On 9/11/2024 at 9:22 PM, NekoPawtato said:

Thank you for reporting. I was able to reproduce this by setting allow_sell to true in traders.xml for a vending machine and trying to sell to the vending machine. I've written up an internal ticket for it.

Good to hear. Thanks for looking into it. :)

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.