I figured out how to add skyscrapers back to RWG

boggler12

Since the most recent update did not resolve the root cause, I thought I would post my work around for generating skyscrapers in A17 (also affects several other POIs that weren't spawning before). Long winded explanation below, TLDR at the end.

Rwgmixer.xml has changed so that two types of cells are generated for POIs, wilderness and hub. Each cell then references a list of POIs to add when generating the cell. Wilderness just has one list that includes the survivor sites and other misc. stuff. Hubs, however, pull from several lists based on the type of zone. These include commercial, industrial, residential (old and new), downtown etc.

If you look at rwgmixer.xml, skyscrapers are listed in the downtown category of POIs and therefor should spawn a couple in each city. This assumption is compounded by the fact that most POIs in this category are actually working (old businesses, hotels etc...). The main issue is the downtown zone is not actually being generated. This means that any POI that only ever spawns in that zone, will never show up.

If you look at each POI's .xml file (7 Days To Die\Data\Prefabs), you will notice that the ones that are listed in rwgmixer under 'downtown' that work, also list another zone that they can appear in. Example:

POI: business_tan_brick_05.xml

Zoning line: <property name="Zoning" value="commercial,downtown" />

This means that the POI can be generated in either zone; so it will show up in A17, but only in the commercial zone. Skyscrapers, police stations, post offices, courthouses, and prisons all only have 'downtown' listed in their individual POI .xml file.

The work around is to open the .xml for each skyscraper and POI listed above, and add an additional zone (or two) that they can be added to. This can be your preference or (like me), based on the appearance of the skyscraper. I like the one under construction to only show up in industrial, but the pharmaceutical company is fine for commercial.

TLDR: Open each skyscraper's .xml in '\7 Days To Die\Data\Prefabs' and add either commercial or industrial to the following line, like so:

<property name="Zoning" value="commercial,downtown" />

Make sure to undo the change once the problem is fixed, unless you want skyscrapers all over the place in the next world you generate, assuming the .xml files in the prefabs folder do not get replaced by the update.

As boggler12 mention, The a17 RWG does not include 'downtown' it seems.

Here is the files that contain 'downtown' only:

courthouse_med_01.xml

courthouse_med_02.xml

mp_waste_bldg_governer_08.xml

police_station1.xml

post_office_med_01.xml

post_office_sm_01.xml

prison_01.xml

skyscraper_01.xml

skyscraper_02.xml

skyscraper_03.xml

skyscraper_04.xml

Made a small app that list all 'Zoning' types and combinations:

(Not all of them are buildings)

DevOnly

ResidentialOld

NavOnly

ResidentialNew,downtown

Industrial

Commercial,downtown

ResidentialOld,Industrial

BiomeOnly

commercial,downtown

Commercial

NoZone

ResidentialNew

downtown

industrial

downtown,ResidentialOld

downtown,residentialnew

Commercial,ResidentialNew

downtown,commercial

any

Commercial,Industrial

ResidentialOld,ResidentialNew,Industrial

It is no oversight or bug that those large buildings are not generating. Random World Generation is bugged badly right now. Buildings are being placed floating or causing other weird terrain glitches.. The floating buildings when you get close to them can start to collapse and will collapse if you place a block on them. The Skyscrapers when they start to fall will stop any PC in its tracks for fifteen minutes or longer. I would wait until the RWG is fixed before adding those large buildings back into your game.

Archived