The hosted counter conundrum

Muramas

A lot of the changes in A17 has made this game way more into a Multiplayer experience. Shared EXP, harder zombies and time management.

I currently have a dedicated server that I wanted to host 7 days to die on it as well but one of my biggest issues with it is that the day counter. If I log offline the day counter will go up every hour so If I didn't log into the server for a whole day, 24 days would run on the server. The only way around the day counter would be to turn the server off while my friends and I are not playing and turn it on while we do but this is not an optimal choice for a game like 7 days to die to build a community.

It is odd that one of the larger things that makes this game interesting, the 7th day horde can actually be the thing that might cause the game to be unable to be hostable for extended periods of time.

One suggestion would be to unhinge the "7th day horde" from the day counter and make it more about collective exp, collective day counters on players or maybe just have it be random.

I do have to say that it would be a lot more scary if you were playing and on one random day it started to thunder and so you hoof it back to your base to frantically put up defense.

I currently have a dedicated server that I wanted to host 7 days to die on it as well but one of my biggest issues with it is that the day counter. If I log offline the day counter will go up every hour so If I didn't log into the server for a whole day, 24 days would run on the server. The only way around the day counter would be to turn the server off while my friends and I are not playing and turn it on while we do but this is not an optimal choice for a game like 7 days to die to build a community.

This is not how it worked in previous Alphas. The counter would stop if no one was in the server. Can you please double check this occurrence on your server by starting it up pw protected, recording the day/night time, logging out for say 10 minutes, and then rejoining? Are you sure no one is logging in at night?

I could not see this was the case in any documentation and even looked for it online. If this is the case I will run some tests.

Can anyone else confirm the above?

Even so, that means if someone else was on the server and the counter went up, it will make it more difficult for my friends and I when we come back.

Archived