My A17 impressions

pahbi

95% awesome, 5% ummmm

First off, the game just looks amazing. It has truly improved leaps and bounds. All of the little details in houses like trim work, and siding, and the textures and just all the little things that go into the game. Simply awesome. Folks deserve some mad credit for that work.

The outdoors also look amazing.

The systems inside the game have improved. I really like the primary, secondary actions, I haven't done much with mods yet, but they look interesting.

I like the perk system, I like the flexibility it brings in terms of balancing and moving skills around.

Zombies look great, and I really don't miss zombies having loot, in fact, its kinda nice to not have to worry about it, and I like being able to retrieve a few arrows sometimes.

Thats the good... now the ummmmm

Zombie's spawning right behind me has just got to go. :rapture:

Anyways, grats on the successful release! It was well worth the wait, you all did awesome!

- P

this.

1st thing i noticed when i logged in was how amazing the world now looks. simply amazing, great job. this is what i am most impressed with and i constantly look around and am impressed.

as far as the houses go, i find them unremarkable but immersive. thats about as high a compliment as i can give. to explain, they look so much like both they and I belong in the same world that nothing stands out as being out of place. i feel like i am in a place that someone once cared for, lived, laughed and cooked in. no longer a box with walls, boarded over windows and some furniture that has been thrown in "because".

love being able to reclaim arrows, dunno how i lived without that til now. honestly.

zombie AI is now completely different than previous versions. they have a much more "realistic" feel to them and they path very well now. they are absolutely relentless and i love it.

if i were to have one criticism, it would be the zombie spawning. random spawning is annoying but being as this is experimental, i have faith they will be dealt with.

as an observation, it is my opinion (from what i have seen in a week) that the game has gone into a paradigm shift from 70/30 crafting/survival to the inverse, 30% crafting/70% survival.

-guns are now abundant, zombie block damage is now massive, proper (aka improved) pathing, loss of log spikes all contribute to shifting the meta from crafting and building bases to defend, to fighting and learning new techniques to address zombie aggressiveness and their ability to go through blocks like nothing now.

-crafting (ie quality and parts) seem to have been put aside in favor of mods. not in every case but several for sure. ie: repairing a quality 2 club suffers no loss from constant repair while the system in A16 accounted for that.

is A17 system better? dunno yet but willing to give it a shot.

overall, love A17, well done!!

this.

1st thing i noticed when i logged in was how amazing the world now looks. simply amazing, great job. this is what i am most impressed with and i constantly look around and am impressed.

as far as the houses go, i find them unremarkable but immersive. thats about as high a compliment as i can give. to explain, they look so much like both they and I belong in the same world that nothing stands out as being out of place. i feel like i am in a place that someone once cared for, lived, laughed and cooked in. no longer a box with walls, boarded over windows and some furniture that has been thrown in "because".

love being able to reclaim arrows, dunno how i lived without that til now. honestly.

zombie AI is now completely different than previous versions. they have a much more "realistic" feel to them and they path very well now. they are absolutely relentless and i love it.

if i were to have one criticism, it would be the zombie spawning. random spawning is annoying but being as this is experimental, i have faith they will be dealt with.

as an observation, it is my opinion (from what i have seen in a week) that the game has gone into a paradigm shift from 70/30 crafting/survival to the inverse, 30% crafting/70% survival.

-guns are now abundant, zombie block damage is now massive, proper (aka improved) pathing, loss of log spikes all contribute to shifting the meta from crafting and building bases to defend, to fighting and learning new techniques to address zombie aggressiveness and their ability to go through blocks like nothing now.

-crafting (ie quality and parts) seem to have been put aside in favor of mods. not in every case but several for sure. ie: repairing a quality 2 club suffers no loss from constant repair while the system in A16 accounted for that.

is A17 system better? dunno yet but willing to give it a shot.

overall, love A17, well done!!

Seeing as most of us bought it as a 70/30 and not a 30/70 this is a major screwup. Pandering to consoles and Fortnite would be my guess. The leader in the genre (even when not complete) is no longer even in the genre.

Seeing as most of us bought it as a 70/30 and not a 30/70 this is a major screwup. Pandering to consoles and Fortnite would be my guess. The leader in the genre (even when not complete) is no longer even in the genre.

The up side is that this "screwup" isnt set in stone yet and can be remedied. Reducing zombie block damage a bit and let it scale with gamestage would go a long way to making fortifications worthy again.

The up side is that this "screwup" isnt set in stone yet and can be remedied. Reducing zombie block damage a bit and let it scale with gamestage would go a long way to making fortifications worthy again.

I expect tweaking will happen in the weeks to come.

If worse comes to worse, players can always alter their own xml files (which is awesome) and tweak the game themselves.

- P

Archived