Slow Clap

Batman!

Amazing work, pimps. Absolutely phenomenal jump in quality and level design for POIs.

Mechanics aside, the sheer work and effort that's been pumped into them breath new life into the term POI, hah!

The biggest problem for me is how terribly the game performs around POIs at this point, but I'm confident you'll get it sorted out in due time. The FPS drops don't make much sense from a hardware perspective, everything runs very smooth until I am literally inside -any- POI or a block or two away from it. I can walk down the street of a town with good performance but tank as soon as I walk in, with various spots inside the building bringing me down to 20-30 and even as far down as 8 if I stand in one spot and look in a certain direction, even if it's just an exterior wall facing outside. I've been playing around in 32 bit mode or 64 bit with a different renderer and it alleviates the issue, and I'm having a blast despite everything looking like mud!

Bravo, Pimps!

Mine is way better. First thing I notice in the game is that I can no longer look around using the mouse, which is about the biggest game-breaking bug I've ever seen. I disabled controller support, still no mouselook. I rebooted the game, same thing, but the mouse does work in menus. Bravo guys. Slow clap indeed!

Heh, yeah, this isn't turning out to be the smoothest experimental version.. but it is experimental nonetheless. Poking around in potato mode, flying around in creative and seeing all the new content is mind blowing however. Makes me excited for them to fix the performance issues so we can all experience it as intended. If there wasn't such a sheer amount of obvious effort put into it and this was put out as a stable version, I'd feel pretty burned by all this but that's what the experimental phase is all about I suppose.

I'm looking forward to seeing all the new stuff. I figured out how to get the mouse to work and played the game for a few minutes. I'd post a detailed bug report, along with how I fixed it, but after being left out of that streamer weekend, I'm not inclined to be overly helpful like that. Go figure.

Serious engine question: In watching all the various streamers, there seems to be some textures that seem to be more processor intensive to render in large swatches. Case in point fps seems to drop around large flagstone walls. Is this just a coincidence or are some textures worse than others when rendering in terms of performance?

Well I am wondering something along these lines, or if it has to do with how the new lighting interacts with these certain textures. I noticed when I was messing around that when i had all settings set to absolute lowest, every texture looked like mud except for some textures on POIs. Not the decor within them, but the actual walls. They kept their normal resolution even with everything set to lowest. I also noticed that with all my settings turned up high (Great performance until i approach a POI a block or two from the interior) if I approach the outside of say a square brick building, press myself up against one of the exterior walls and peek around the corner, looking at the building\texture in that angle massively tanks my FPS and there is a visual shine in the texture, like it's trying to account for light reflecting down the wall (Even though I have reflections off)

I'm not debating it being experimental, I'm just throwing some ideas around is all

This wasn't meant to be a bug report. It was general feedback... Hence why I didn't report hardware specs and take pictures what not. Gist is, I really, -really- like how much effort has gone into the environment and to make the POIs feel interesting and organic. However I felt it only fair the mention the negative part of my experience tonight as well.

Love the effort and I see the potential, but even on lowest video setting and dropping the resolution to 768, it plays like molasses at times. Everything seems to move slowly.

And is moving up a ladder supposed to be painfully slow as well? It’s like slogging through quicksand.

@eyegore

“I'd post a detailed bug report, along with how I fixed it, but after being left out of that streamer weekend, I'm not inclined to be overly helpful like that. Go figure.”

That is one of the most petty, entitled things I’ve heard in a long time.

My condolences that the world doesn’t revolve around you, I guess.

I was only three days. You didn’t die. You still have all your limbs, yes?

Archived