Constant crashes/rerolled progress.

Wrx1979

Hello, I'm fairly new to 7 days to die and I would first like to say that I love the game. It's fun and actually makes me jump a little at times. Thanks for that. However, I have a troubling issue that seems to be renown and relatively old? While playing the game it crashes about once every hour. Like clockwork. Sometimes you can see it coming because the game flashes and starts to lag and gets glitchy, so I try and log out at that time. Also, out of the 100+ crashes I have experienced 4 of those times the game has completely wiped out and rerolled the environment where I was when the crash took place... 4 times I was in my fortress that I built and put ALOT of work and time into..it completely rerolled it and reverted the area back to its original state. And I lost EVERYTHING.....minus what I was carrying. This has happened several times now. How is this NOT fixed yet? I mean, its quite a few years old now, no? You guys can't expect people to just play the game and lose everything, only to rebuild and continue to lose everything at random? No offense, but if this was blizzard, they would have had this issue fixed in a day? What's the problem guys? The game is awesome, but has a serious issue...Now, I've tried the cache clear, which does nothing, and I am now also spreading my loot out more. I have a fortress where I spend little time at and also have a storage for all my stuff where I spend little to no time at, in case the game decides to reroll itself again. Every time it crashes I worry That I will lose it all again. That's not appealing. If it happens again, I plan to just quit the game and write corporate and the BBB about the known issue. What are you guys doing about it? Is there something I am NOT doing..? Thanks.

Hi Wrx1979,

I am sorry you have experienced this multiple times in your game. As you may have already seen, this issue is called the MD5 error, as you mention frequent crashes and the MD5 occurring afterwards I assume you are playing on the XB1?

The XB1 is known to experience more frequent crashes while playing the game which can result in MD5 errors (If this is happening on PS4 it is very uncommon, please let me know if this is the case) The info about the MD5 error is maintained HERE in case you have not seen it yet.

In short, the MD5 error consists of multiple triggers, and occurs when an area of the map struggles to load. In the beginning, may things could cause it, sometimes without even needing the game to be shut down. When the area fails to load, the game restores it to the version it knows, which is the Day 1 state of the map. Since the MD5 error was identified the team have been working to reduce the triggers, providing fixes for them within every patch released.

We are now at the point where there are very few triggers left. These are mostly, unfortunately, triggered by the crashes that have become more common. The team are currently working on both reducing the crashes as well as removing the remaining triggers.

While I understand this may not be of great comfort for those like yourself who are still experiencing these issues, I can assure you work is still being done and the team have not given up on this fix.

In the mean time, if you are on XB1 there are a few things, while understandably not idea for some, that can help with the issues (some of which you may have tried already).

1) As your crashes occur fairly regularly, if you can time them, regularly shutting down the console and hard resetting before the crash occurs has helped some - Clearing your cache is even more effective (shutting down and unplugging for 5 mins before rebooting to ensure it's cleared). I would recommend clearing the cache or shutting down the console regularly when not playing the game rather than leaving it in standby.

2) Before staring a session with another player, or starting up 7DTD after playing a difference game, clear the cache.

3) There are warnings that come before a crash, some of which you've seen already, resetting as soon as you see these may help. These include: menus flickering or not displaying correctly, sudden/extreme weather changes, Animals not spawning correctly in an area.

4) Some items can cause an extra build up in lag which may speed up the crashing process. Though this is more common on PS4, it is worth nothing that excessive torches, candles, toggle able lights, wood frame windows, large tree farms or large amount of spikes have been known to cause issues for players when it comes to lag.

5) While the suggestions listen above may help avoid crashes, they, or MD5s may still occur. Players found a workaround for the MD5 error on the XB1 that works for about 95% of players so far. As this is an unofficial workaround, caution is advised as it involves deleting and resyncing data, it is also time sensitive and must be done immediately after crashing - https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?69218-Possible-work-around-and-or-solution-to-md5-crashes(base-wipes-resets) - This workaround is for XB1 only as the sync to the cloud is near-instant and the XB1 does not allow backup to USB. If you happen to be playing on PS4 you can backup to USB or the cloud regularly and restore when needed.

6) Players have reported lately that crafting stations (especially those in use) or large storage collections have been the focus of the MD5 errors. So your current setup of having items spread out is one of the recommendations I give to players now, just to be safe, though the stations actually being a focal point of the MD5 error is not yet confirmed.

Both myself and the team understand how frustrating this issue is for all players effected by it. If you have any further questions about the MD5 error or the crashes, I will do my best to answer them.

Clare

Hi Wrx1979,

I am sorry you have experienced this multiple times in your game. As you may have already seen, this issue is called the MD5 error, as you mention frequent crashes and the MD5 occurring afterwards I assume you are playing on the XB1?

The XB1 is known to experience more frequent crashes while playing the game which can result in MD5 errors (If this is happening on PS4 it is very uncommon, please let me know if this is the case) The info about the MD5 error is maintained HERE in case you have not seen it yet.

In short, the MD5 error consists of multiple triggers, and occurs when an area of the map struggles to load. In the beginning, may things could cause it, sometimes without even needing the game to be shut down. When the area fails to load, the game restores it to the version it knows, which is the Day 1 state of the map. Since the MD5 error was identified the team have been working to reduce the triggers, providing fixes for them within every patch released.

We are now at the point where there are very few triggers left. These are mostly, unfortunately, triggered by the crashes that have become more common. The team are currently working on both reducing the crashes as well as removing the remaining triggers.

While I understand this may not be of great comfort for those like yourself who are still experiencing these issues, I can assure you work is still being done and the team have not given up on this fix.

In the mean time, if you are on XB1 there are a few things, while understandably not idea for some, that can help with the issues (some of which you may have tried already).

1) As your crashes occur fairly regularly, if you can time them, regularly shutting down the console and hard resetting before the crash occurs has helped some - Clearing your cache is even more effective (shutting down and unplugging for 5 mins before rebooting to ensure it's cleared). I would recommend clearing the cache or shutting down the console regularly when not playing the game rather than leaving it in standby.

2) Before staring a session with another player, or starting up 7DTD after playing a difference game, clear the cache.

3) There are warnings that come before a crash, some of which you've seen already, resetting as soon as you see these may help. These include: menus flickering or not displaying correctly, sudden/extreme weather changes, Animals not spawning correctly in an area.

4) Some items can cause an extra build up in lag which may speed up the crashing process. Though this is more common on PS4, it is worth nothing that excessive torches, candles, toggle able lights, wood frame windows, large tree farms or large amount of spikes have been known to cause issues for players when it comes to lag.

5) While the suggestions listen above may help avoid crashes, they, or MD5s may still occur. Players found a workaround for the MD5 error on the XB1 that works for about 95% of players so far. As this is an unofficial workaround, caution is advised as it involves deleting and resyncing data, it is also time sensitive and must be done immediately after crashing - https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?69218-Possible-work-around-and-or-solution-to-md5-crashes(base-wipes-resets) - This workaround is for XB1 only as the sync to the cloud is near-instant and the XB1 does not allow backup to USB. If you happen to be playing on PS4 you can backup to USB or the cloud regularly and restore when needed.

6) Players have reported lately that crafting stations (especially those in use) or large storage collections have been the focus of the MD5 errors. So your current setup of having items spread out is one of the recommendations I give to players now, just to be safe, though the stations actually being a focal point of the MD5 error is not yet confirmed.

Both myself and the team understand how frustrating this issue is for all players effected by it. If you have any further questions about the MD5 error or the crashes, I will do my best to answer them.

Clare

Yes, I play on xbox 1 version for now. Also, I understand. I've noticed something as well, could be related: might not be. The option that allows you to regulate the loot respawn? Ever since I disabled that the game still crashes, but never reverts an area back to its original state. Maybe that's a good place to look for the error? I know there are a lot of triggers and yes you can see the crash coming a lot of the times, but I think that is odd it never resets anymore since I disabled that option? But yea, playing in single player it crashes a lot less, but when I play split screen it crashes once every hour. It's almost like it's just too much for the xbox to process or something? I noticed before I rebuilt my pc if a certain game demanded too much ram, or was too hard on my old video card the game would just crash. However, I rebuilt my computer since then and have never experienced an crash issue with any game. Maybe the xbox one has a hard time handling the games graphics demand? I don't think, but thanks for the info. At least I believe I fixed the reverting part for now.

Hi Wrx1979,

Thank you for your understanding and for passing on that theory, there was an issue in the past which while not MD5 related, caused some glitches when POIs tried to respawn loot... even though its not 100% related it gives me reason to believe your theory could have some grounds to it. Another player mentioned something similar not long ago, I had brought it up with the team, but I will bring it up again with the added info that changing loot respawn times have stopped the resets for you.

For splitscreen, there is a lot for the consoles to do when processing this, this is one of the reasons that Distant Terrain is automatically turned off in splitscreen, so it is possible that with two players on the one console the build up of whatever is causing the crash is more rapid.

Sylenthunder made an interesting thread in which he compared the hardware of consoles and PC while you might find interesting - https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?62391-When-Will-the-Console-Version-Have-_______

If you have any more questions of thoughs, please feel free to share them :)

Clare

Archived