Random caves on console

TLH069

I’ve noticed on pc I don’t see a lot of random caves in the gen maps. If that’s the case then on the next update, could we please at least thin down the amount on caves in the world. The last three new maps I’ve started has been crazy. The map we are on now, we have lost the mini bikes three times. When you go over a hill and there’s a cave, sucks.

Caves are awesome. If you lose a minibike down one it can be a PITA, but personally, I love finding and mining out caves. One of my best ever bases was built in a massive cavern that I mined down from the surface into a huge hole.

It's each to their own, but from my experience, there are not all that many caves so as to become a nuisance. Maybe you were just unlucky with your seed name?

If the minibikes survived the fall you can just dismantle them to retrieve them, same for underwater too.

I remember my first game when I finally made the mini-bike. I was driving along happily, and then fell into a cavern.

I spent the entire even and most of the next day digging/mining (with stone shovels and stone axes) a path that I could climb/jump out of. It was by no means a path that the mini-bike could drive over.

At this point, I am near starvation and dehydration. I run back to my base to eat, drink, and load up on supplies to get my mini-bike out.

I return and dig/build a ramp out of the cavern for the mini-bike.

About 3 game days later, I figured out I could dismantle the mini-bike.

Lessons learned:

1. Mark caverns on your map. As you are driving along the icon will be on the compass at the top of the screen. When it is white (no gray), large, and dead ahead, be careful.

2. I always fine the caverns as multiple holes in a general area. Spend the few moment to mark them all.

3. Do the same with the little ponds/watering holes around the map.

4. If you have the time, build some wood block posts around the hole to set the edges so that you can zip by in the future.

I agree. I built a three story lay out. Four bedrooms a huge working area for the forges and such. It had a fall pit. Underground garden and tree farm. Loved it. We retrieved the mini bikes. One was in water. Finding them the hard way sucks.

- - - Updated - - -

I mark them all now. That did sucks

The caves on PC have been "nerfed" from what I've seen. They're just basically tunnels and lead nowhere, which is probably why you've noticed there aren't all that many now. - Either way, I'd prefer it if IronGalxy didn't go nerfing the caves on consoles too! They've already dumbed down the screamers and wandering hordes. *facepalms*

The caves on PC have been "nerfed" from what I've seen. They're just basically tunnels and lead nowhere, which is probably why you've noticed there aren't all that many now. - Either way, I'd prefer it if IronGalxy didn't go nerfing the caves on consoles too! They've already dumbed down the screamers and wandering hordes. *facepalms*

Agreed. Falling into a cave on your bike can be a PITA but I like having them. Ive also run into ferals a few times spawning in or by a cave. Maybe just RNG or maybe they are the new cave troll. Either way I’m much more cautious when I look in one now.

Don't get me wrong, I like having them. I made a base out of one once before. It's probably my seed I'm on. I have about 8 or so caves on it. most is in the green biome where it's hard to see. One of the caves has four smaller ones around it on a main road. We lost two bikes in it with water. We got them out. I mark the caves now. I don't remember so many of them. We are getting ready to start a new world. Maybe there won't be as many this time.

Archived