Invincible Underground Base

SanguumRides

So I've come to notice that digging deep enough and having a confusing series of stairs or ladders, provides a base completely immune to zombies. Even feral zombie hordes just wander around on the surface, and occasionally dig a one block hole. I suggest one or both of the following for MAXIMUM FUN! 1. Make a rule that beds/spawn points can only be above ground, or above a certain level to enforce the need to build something above ground and defend it. 2. Introduce giant subterranean worms like the movie Tremors. Still one of the best games I have ever played! Keep up the good work!

I loved the Tremors movies! #1 was an interesting and suspenseful but each one after it was successively more silly and obnoxious. I don't think underground monsters would fit the theme of 7DTD. The superconcretebeaverzombies just need to remember how to dig downward when they sense a player below them. Dogs are natural diggers, I bet the mole-people would be surprised if a dog or two tunneled into their dwarven city.

I often use underground bases and I agree it make is too easy, but if you think of PVP, you should indeed hide the base as well as you can, and underground is a great option. We could though have a limitation on oxygen (similar to the drowning effect, but of course at a much lower speed), so it would push people to come out. It could be a buffer.

Yeah, I instinctively go underground immediately when jumping into any new server now. I actually like it as it rewards the smart player and doesn't make you feel totally helpless. We tried a house base on a new server and were totally owned by the 7th day hoard. I think they're definitely addressing it. My friend said a mine he built got swarmed the other day by the hoard. He fought them off but he said they definitely made a beeline for him.

Well if your building on water and not connecting it to the lake bed I would consider that an exploit. Though its not your fault, its poor programing. Its like alt tabbing out while crafting then coming back in after doing some facebook or whatever. Once you know its a duping issue you gotta decide, do I sit here and be bored or do I risk the dupe due to poor programming? You are right however, not a single zombie will reach you. I have my place in the side of a cliff. slightly above water but with a ramp there.. I know zeds cant get to it.. but I placed spikes at the bottom so they wont carve a hole at the base of the cliff.

yeah cliff base is nice. Exploit the bugs while you can I say. They will be fixed and then they will just be fun memories of "remember when we could...." Our job as alpha players is to find and report them, not exploit them i know. But it is far better then downloading hacks and trainers. Plus i believe i could build a floating base using a wood platform, until they fix simple things like this, we gotta deal with what we got.

[QUOTE=SanguumRides;135302]So I've come to notice that digging deep enough and having a confusing series of stairs or ladders, provides a base completely immune to zombies. Even feral zombie hordes just wander around on the surface, and occasionally dig a one block hole. I suggest one or both of the following for MAXIMUM FUN! 1. Make a rule that beds/spawn points can only be above ground, or above a certain level to enforce the need to build something above ground and defend it. 2. Introduce giant subterranean worms like the movie Tremors. Still one of the best games I have ever played! Keep up the good work![/QUOTE] 1: no digging underground is a big part of the game. 2: that would be cool, but really annoying. They just need better pathing. Some rules for the AI to follow, such as, if the player is under the zombie, and there is a ladder close by that goes down, the zombie has to try that ladder and see if it gets closer to the player. Stuff like this would help the AI to be a bit smarter. It is like this atm, but I think if your not directly next to the ladder, the zombies don't seem to understand where to go. And the zombies can't detect you so far down anymore like in the first alphas. This is a hard question, because you want to have the stealth system in the game, but also make anything threatening. But also, if you actually make a bunker, you should be rewarded with safety. It has to be solved somehow. At least let zombies notice you when you mine so far down. You're basically undetectable underground.

Eventually there will be health issues associated with staying underground for too long. Anyways, we really don't need to worry about this right now, it will be "fixed" in the future. While it seems like an oversight right now, there are plans to make it harder to survive underground. I would personally prefer that all/most underground dangers would be natural in nature. If they find a way, I hope that they add the need for oxygen the further you go underground. Nothing fancy, just have levels of oxygen based on how deep you are. One could build/find devices and machines that can negate the negative effects of being underground. Like air pumps, air tanks, and oxygen masks. Air pumps would create "bubbles" of varying oxygen levels around it. Basically, if it is empty space it would be considered to have oxygen. Anything else would basically affect the player with varying severity. I figure this wouldn't be very resource intensive, for the computer. All of the items would be quite expensive to craft/build. Or they would be rare finds, for those particularly complex items. I would also like to see gas deposits in the ground. They could range from being poisonous to explosive, altering how people work underground. Requiring counters such as the above oxygen masks or gas masks. As for explosions, light bulbs or other non-flame based methods of lighting. There could even be tools for measuring the levels of different gases. I would also like to see varying levels of structural integrity in all of the rock underground. Without proper mine building techniques a collapse would be highly likely. I am completely against worms, it just doesn't fit with how I view the underground (Why lie?). I am partially ok with large (actual) spiders in the (future) caves, ones that stay in the dark. As for water, it would be interesting to have a mutated fish/alligator of some sort. We don't need zombies for everything, so lets have some variety.

Archived