12 years and THIS is the big 1.0?

3 hours ago, meganoth said:

intro quests can be ignored.

There are a number of other posts in general discussion questioning the wisdom of tying tier progression to specific vendors in specific biomes in RWG, if not Navezgane/story mode. That's about the only thing I think they might want to carefully reconsider before it goes any further. Biome "progression" is essentially already in place as the biomes have varying degrees of difficulty and loot stages. Nothing else really to be done there, imo. Players can visit them if and whenever they like. Tying tier progression to them and specific traders, otoh, takes the "r" right out of "rwg," rendering it more or less pointless. The way to go there, imo, would be to reserve the linearity for Navezgane/story mode and cordone off RWG freeplay as its own thing. "Story mode" and "RWG mode" (or a rose by any other name) could just have their own menu items on the start screen. Perhaps, the story mode could still be played with other players, though I've no idea how they're going to pull that off when BGS couldn't. I'm pretty sure that's why there's no group tier progression on "quests" anymore. You can do them together, sure, but only the "team leader" will get credit for doing them and that just smacks too much of Fallout 76 for my taste. BGS couldn't figure out how to make that happen in time and under budget, if at all, and everyone playing it shares a world, but not quest instances, If TFP does 7 Days the same way, they're essentially copying an unresolved issue from another game. 7DTDs is not a MMO or even a MMO/SP hybrid, but has historically done online connectivity much the way it used to be done and as John Carmack himself has gone on record saying it should be done. Just keep story mode and RWG mode separate from one another and that issue won't rear its ugly head.

Edited by InfiniteWarrior (see edit history)

12 minutes ago, InfiniteWarrior said:

You can do them together, sure, but only the "team leader" will get credit for doing it and that just smacks too much of Fallout 76 for my taste.

This is outdated information. All players in a team get credit aka progression points again, but the default setting is that only 4 quests per day give progression points. (Actually first the default was 3, which I thought was the better value to balance out single player with multi player progression).

12 minutes ago, InfiniteWarrior said:

questioning the wisdom of tying tier progression to specific vendors in specific biomes in RWG

How is that? When I stay with Rect in the forest he will readily give me higher and higher quests when I have progressed. The only problem is be that tier4 and especially tier5 buildings won't appear in the forest

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

Gotcha. Story mode will prove a little different, though. The quests won't be random stuff to do, but advance the storyline as well. To save a lot of headaches that don't need to happen, I'd still keep story mode/Navezgane and RWG completely separate.

Edited by InfiniteWarrior
Spelling and grammar (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, InfiniteWarrior said:

Gotcha. Story mode will prove a little different, though. The quests won't be random stuff to do, but advance the storyline as well. To save a lot of headaches that don't need to happen, I'd still keep story mode/Navezgane and RWG completely separate.

The danger is certainly there that they adjust traders to follow the story mode in the future. And it still seems in the cloud how much of the story and related quests will be added to RWG.

Much depends on implementation though. The game is full of features and progression you can ignore if you really want (with exceptions)

Just now, meganoth said:

The danger is certainly there that they adjust traders to follow the story mode. And it still seems in the cloud how much of the story and related quests will be added to RWG.

That's why I think none of it should be. Just let RWG be the "freeplay" mode everyone will go for once finished with story mode because I very much doubt there's a way to allow every player on a team to go through the dialogue with NPCs, especially if their are different choices and consequences to that dialogue. (And if there isn't, it won't be a RPG, afic.)

I'd be using Jedi Outcast as a template of inspiration for SP vs MP gameplay rather than Fallout 76 or similar were I TFP. I get he impression they want to get in on the "in-game store"...stuff...that has driven most of us away from the triple As and I sincerely hope they don't, but the game is not a MMO per how users connect with one another on community run servers as opposed to a central server.

22 minutes ago, InfiniteWarrior said:

That's why I think none of it should be. Just let RWG be the "freeplay" mode everyone will go for once finished with story mode because I very much doubt there's a way to allow every player on a team to go through the dialogue with NPCs, especially if their are different choices and consequences to that dialogue. (And if there isn't, it won't be a RPG, afic.)

I'd be using Jedi Outcast as a template of inspiration for SP vs MP gameplay rather than Fallout 76 or similar were I TFP. I get he impression they want to get in on the "in-game store"...stuff...that has driven most of us away from the triple As and I sincerely hope they don't, but the game is not a MMO per how users connect with one another on community run servers as opposed to a central server.

I don't think there will be much ado with choices, dialogues or consequences. Roland often tried to curb any expectations that the story would be anything like in an RPG, or even MMO. And he listened in on developer conferences, he would know a lot more of their plans than anyone else here.

14 hours ago, meganoth said:

make the game more appealing to everyone

This is impossible. In my country there are sayings: “there is no friend according to taste” and “how many people, so many opinions.”

Let the game be what it is. I don't like all the changes in the latest updates, but I play it. It may be worth adding some options, but in general it can be customized to your taste. Plus there are also mods.

2 hours ago, Suxar said:

This is impossible. In my country there are sayings: “there is no friend according to taste” and “how many people, so many opinions.”

Let the game be what it is. I don't like all the changes in the latest updates, but I play it. It may be worth adding some options, but in general it can be customized to your taste. Plus there are also mods.

Correct. I should have wriitten "make the game more appealing to the presumable majority of current players".

13 hours ago, Suxar said:

Let the game be what it is. 

Sure, but keep RWG freeplay and Navezgane/story mode separate from another as in Green Hell and other "survival" games. ;) Most will play through the story mode once, at best and RWG doesn't need the linearity. The game wasn't designed to be a RPG or MMO or grand adventure game or consideration of that would've come first in any and all planning and decisions about it. It's the sandbox everyone is having so much fun in, so let them have their fun and save the railroads for Navezgane. 

'kay. Won't mention it here again. Maybe Discord or something, but not here. :D