Is it possible to reduce quest rewards on dedicated server?

Hi guys,

I am preparing a community server and I am trying to slow down progression a bit. Is there any chance I can reduce quest rewards on my dedicated server? More precisely, i'd like to limit/decrease/remove magazines from rewards.

Thanks,

Erwin

2 hours ago, 7daysenjoyer said:

Hi guys,

I am preparing a community server and I am trying to slow down progression a bit. Is there any chance I can reduce quest rewards on my dedicated server? More precisely, i'd like to limit/decrease/remove magazines from rewards.

Thanks,

Erwin

Yes, you would need to create  a modlet for the server (should only need to be installed on the server computer).

What you are looking for is modifying the quests xml file.  If you want to remove the crafting magazine bundle, just write up something like:

<remove xpath="//reward[@id='X']"/>

where X is the name of the crafting magazine bundle from the items xml file (I would include it but I don't have those files on my work laptop anymore).

That's the way to remove them completely.  You can also tailor the code so that it the bundle is only available on certain quests (for example T2 or higher clear and fetch quests).  I won't provide examples of all coding.  If you explain specifically what you want, I can post the code to do that.

29 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

Yes, you would need to create  a modlet for the server (should only need to be installed on the server computer).

What you are looking for is modifying the quests xml file.  If you want to remove the crafting magazine bundle, just write up something like:

<remove xpath="//reward[@id='X']"/>

where X is the name of the crafting magazine bundle from the items xml file (I would include it but I don't have those files on my work laptop anymore).

That's the way to remove them completely.  You can also tailor the code so that it the bundle is only available on certain quests (for example T2 or higher clear and fetch quests).  I won't provide examples of all coding.  If you explain specifically what you want, I can post the code to do that.

Thanks bro, this would be great. Would it be possible to reduce the drop rate of those, and make it exclusively available through T4 Clear & Fetch quests?

I can't wait for the test server so I can play with those files. Any chance those modifications causing crashes or anything like that?

Do you know any other cool ways to slow down the progression? V1.0 seems to be bit unbalanced in regards to that.

15 minutes ago, 7daysenjoyer said:

Thanks bro, this would be great. Would it be possible to reduce the drop rate of those, and make it exclusively available through T4 Clear & Fetch quests?

I can't wait for the test server so I can play with those files. Any chance those modifications causing crashes or anything like that?

Do you know any other cool ways to slow down the progression? V1.0 seems to be bit unbalanced in regards to that.

I will do some coding this evening and post examples of what to do (along with what to change if you don't like how I approached it).  I will want to verify what I did works.

I won't be able to tell you if the modifications will affect existing saved games as I only play single player so I would not have an opportunity to verify what it would do with existing games.  It shouldn't crash an existing game as long as I confirm it first SP, but no guarantees.

Depends on what you want to reduce.  Challenges right now speeds up leveling so you can reduce XP gain that way.  Another is to reduce XP for specific actions (killing zombies vs crafting vs building).  You can also adjust the Game stage equation to slow it down.  I also believe you can modify the amount of XP required to level up.  You can increase the number of magazines required to reach the next unlock.  There are many possibilities to slow down progression in this game.

However, some of these changes will definitely break existing games - especially changes to the progression file as that is part of the character save data.

30 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

I will do some coding this evening and post examples of what to do (along with what to change if you don't like how I approached it).  I will want to verify what I did works.

I won't be able to tell you if the modifications will affect existing saved games as I only play single player so I would not have an opportunity to verify what it would do with existing games.  It shouldn't crash an existing game as long as I confirm it first SP, but no guarantees.

Depends on what you want to reduce.  Challenges right now speeds up leveling so you can reduce XP gain that way.  Another is to reduce XP for specific actions (killing zombies vs crafting vs building).  You can also adjust the Game stage equation to slow it down.  I also believe you can modify the amount of XP required to level up.  You can increase the number of magazines required to reach the next unlock.  There are many possibilities to slow down progression in this game.

However, some of these changes will definitely break existing games - especially changes to the progression file as that is part of the character save data.

Ok this is great, many thanks for that. The first wipe of that server will be approximately 19th of July therefore maintaining saved games isnt important.

Posted (edited)

So this code would remove the skill magazine crafting bundle from all quests that are not clear & fetch Tiers 2 through 4

<config>

<!-- removes skill magazine bundles from all quests that are not clear & fetch  -->
    <set xpath="//quest[not(contains(@id,'fetch'))]/reward[contains(@id,'groupQuestResourcesT0') and contains(@id,'groupQuestT1SkillMagazineBundle')]/@id">groupQuestResourcesT0</set>
    <set xpath="//quest[not(contains(@id,'fetch'))]/reward[contains(@id,'groupQuestResourcesT1') and contains(@id,'groupQuestT1SkillMagazineBundle')]/@id">groupQuestResourcesT1</set>

<set xpath="//quest[not(contains(@id,'clear'))]/reward[contains(@id,'groupQuestResourcesT0') and contains(@id,'groupQuestT1SkillMagazineBundle')]/@id">groupQuestResourcesT0</set>
    <set xpath="//quest[not(contains(@id,'clear'))]/reward[contains(@id,'groupQuestResourcesT1') and contains(@id,'groupQuestT1SkillMagazineBundle')]/@id">groupQuestResourcesT1</set>

<!-- removes skill magazine bundles from clear & fetch quests T5 & T6  -->

<set xpath="//quest[contains(@id,'clear') and contains(@id,'tier5')]/reward[contains(@id,'groupQuestResourcesT1') and contains(@id,'groupQuestT1SkillMagazineBundle')]/@id">groupQuestResourcesT1</set>
    <set xpath="//quest[contains(@id,'clear') and contains(@id,'tier6')]/reward[contains(@id,'groupQuestResourcesT1') and contains(@id,'groupQuestT1SkillMagazineBundle')]/@id">groupQuestResourcesT1</set>

<!-- removes skill magazine bundles from next trader quests  -->

<remove xpath="//quest[contains(@id,'nexttrader')]/reward[contains(@id,'groupQuestT1SkillMagazineBundle')]"/>
</config>

Edited by BFT2020 (see edit history)

On 7/9/2024 at 12:46 AM, BFT2020 said:

So this code would remove the skill magazine crafting bundle from all quests that are not clear & fetch Tiers 2 through 4

<config>

<!-- removes skill magazine bundles from all quests that are not clear & fetch  -->
    <set xpath="//quest[not(contains(@id,'fetch'))]/reward[contains(@id,'groupQuestResourcesT0') and contains(@id,'groupQuestT1SkillMagazineBundle')]/@id">groupQuestResourcesT0</set>
    <set xpath="//quest[not(contains(@id,'fetch'))]/reward[contains(@id,'groupQuestResourcesT1') and contains(@id,'groupQuestT1SkillMagazineBundle')]/@id">groupQuestResourcesT1</set>

<set xpath="//quest[not(contains(@id,'clear'))]/reward[contains(@id,'groupQuestResourcesT0') and contains(@id,'groupQuestT1SkillMagazineBundle')]/@id">groupQuestResourcesT0</set>
    <set xpath="//quest[not(contains(@id,'clear'))]/reward[contains(@id,'groupQuestResourcesT1') and contains(@id,'groupQuestT1SkillMagazineBundle')]/@id">groupQuestResourcesT1</set>

<set xpath="//quest[contains(@id,'clear') and contains(@id,'tier5')]/reward[contains(@id,'groupQuestResourcesT1') and contains(@id,'groupQuestT1SkillMagazineBundle')]/@id">groupQuestResourcesT1</set>
    <set xpath="//quest[contains(@id,'clear') and contains(@id,'tier6')]/reward[contains(@id,'groupQuestResourcesT1') and contains(@id,'groupQuestT1SkillMagazineBundle')]/@id">groupQuestResourcesT1</set>

<remove xpath="//quest[contains(@id,'nexttrader')]/reward[contains(@id,'groupQuestT1SkillMagazineBundle')]"/>
</config>

Thanks, looks great. I will test it out this weekend and will let you know. Much appreciated, thanks for contributing!

Posted (edited)
On 7/9/2024 at 12:46 AM, BFT2020 said:

<config>

</config>

Unluckily when loading on the dedicated server, I have seen such error in console:
ERR XML loader: Loading and parsing 'quests' failed
EXC Unrecognized xml element config

I've pasted what you've sent me at the end of the quests.xml file right before the closing of </quests>

I checked that in-game and actually looks like it did not make any effect.

Edited by 7daysenjoyer (see edit history)

Just now, 7daysenjoyer said:

Unluckily when loading on the dedicated server, I have seen such error in console:
ERR XML loader: Loading and parsing 'quests' failed
EXC Unrecognized xml element config

I've pasted what you've sent me at the end of the quests.xml file right before the closing of </quests>

I checked that in-game and actually looks like it did not make any effect.

I will link you a file later that has the code in it.  I did verify using a new game (on V1.0 b313 though) that everything worked fine.  Sometimes when you copy and paste, the characters are not correct.

1 minute ago, BFT2020 said:

I will link you a file later that has the code in it.  I did verify using a new game (on V1.0 b313 though) that everything worked fine.  Sometimes when you copy and paste, the characters are not correct.

No worries bro, much appreciated anyway. I could paste it incorrectly though, I will try pasting it in different place of the .xml file. I am bit of a noob in there. XML file would be appreciated though, I could see how it should look like.