Help: Can someone explain these water physics? - Been this way for 2 years now

Brodem

Hi, ive been trying to build on/in one of the navezgane lakes, but somehow even with this release version

it is completely impossible to remove water sources from it? everytime i remove a block i replaced the water with, it reappears. even when you completely block out every adjacent water source... even 3 in every direction... there will still be water regenerated there... doesnt matter if you take a bucket, replace it with a solid block, remove blocks underneath to create space for the water to flow to....

What is happening there? Does anyone have solutions for that? The only partial workaround i found was going to creative mode and turning the water-animation checkmark off... then it obviously stays gone, but since you eventually will relog into the game, without being in debugmode... then it instantly refills everything with water...

Help? Or better yet... Funpimps please? Can we get this sorted out before release-release? since... you know... its not quiet... finished yet? the game? thats about to be... released? you know?

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Brodem said:

Hi, ive been trying to build on/in one of the navezgane lakes, but somehow even with this release version

it is completely impossible to remove water sources from it? everytime i remove a block i replaced the water with, it reappears. even when you completely block out every adjacent water source... even 3 in every direction... there will still be water regenerated there... doesnt matter if you take a bucket, replace it with a solid block, remove blocks underneath to create space for the water to flow to....

What is happening there? Does anyone have solutions for that? The only partial workaround i found was going to creative mode and turning the water-animation checkmark off... then it obviously stays gone, but since you eventually will relog into the game, without being in debugmode... then it instantly refills everything with water...

Help? Or better yet... Funpimps please? Can we get this sorted out before release-release? since... you know... its not quiet... finished yet? the game? thats about to be... released? you know?

spacer.png

I've never had trouble removing water, and I've built underwater bases in A21 and had to remove water when they leaked.  If blocks cover all areas where water is and you remove those blocks, the water should be gone.  I've never had problems with that working that way.  But you need to be sure you have everything filled in.  I've had times when I thought I had everything only to get water back and then when I looked more closely, I found a missed spot.

I mean, thank you for the reply, but as you see on the image, there is nothing missing right? Atleast like the surface level water of the block in the middle should stay removed, if i place and remove a solid block there right? Thats why im confused too. Outside of lakes, it curiously works different. Im not even sure if it occurs outside of Navezgane! Maybe thats a difference, because of it being a hand-crafted map? Maybe? Ill be sure to check on a custom-generated map too and a pregen, for comparison.

ty bud

In my experience you can't have an opening on the top. It will always refill with water. If you want a room below the waters surface you have to build something like a "moonpool". Just an open pit type thing won't work. Maybe someone else has figured out how to do it but I haven't seen it.

Okay yea just adding this for completion of the "bug-report" so to speak:

The displayed error does ONLY occur on the Navezgane map. The watergeneration appears to be either different for that maps lakes or bugged.

Every other water, in the pregen maps and the random world gens, water is fine and does drain properly.

Really annoying for players on Navezgane, but yea... maybe some funny pimp will look into it :D

11 hours ago, Brodem said:

I mean, thank you for the reply, but as you see on the image, there is nothing missing right? Atleast like the surface level water of the block in the middle should stay removed, if i place and remove a solid block there right? Thats why im confused too. Outside of lakes, it curiously works different. Im not even sure if it occurs outside of Navezgane! Maybe thats a difference, because of it being a hand-crafted map? Maybe? Ill be sure to check on a custom-generated map too and a pregen, for comparison.

ty bud

Yes, it should.  Assuming there are fully solid blocks/terrain under what you have there, which I can't see to verify.  I also haven't tested this in 1.0, so could be something new as well.

6 hours ago, Brodem said:

Okay yea just adding this for completion of the "bug-report" so to speak:

The displayed error does ONLY occur on the Navezgane map. The watergeneration appears to be either different for that maps lakes or bugged.

Every other water, in the pregen maps and the random world gens, water is fine and does drain properly.

Really annoying for players on Navezgane, but yea... maybe some funny pimp will look into it :D

That's good to know.  Navesgane does have an extra file for water that other maps do not have.  That may be the cause.  Is this water something that was on the map from the start or water you added and can't remove?  Can you try placing water somewhere on Navesgane and see if you can remove it?  It might be limited only to existing water.

11 hours ago, seven said:

In my experience you can't have an opening on the top. It will always refill with water. If you want a room below the waters surface you have to build something like a "moonpool". Just an open pit type thing won't work. Maybe someone else has figured out how to do it but I haven't seen it.

I'm not quite sure what you're meaning here.  You said no opening on top but then said an open pit?

In case this relates to what you're saying, if you want a room filled with air that has water above it, you need 2 blocks for the roof.  One block for the walls.  Otherwise it fills in.  Note that there are cases where I needed 3 blocks for the roof to prevent flooding.  Not sure why it varies since I didn't do any real testing.

45 minutes ago, Riamus said:

I'm not quite sure what you're meaning here.  You said no opening on top but then said an open pit?

In case this relates to what you're saying, if you want a room filled with air that has water above it, you need 2 blocks for the roof.  One block for the walls.  Otherwise it fills in.  Note that there are cases where I needed 3 blocks for the roof to prevent flooding.  Not sure why it varies since I didn't do any real testing.

I simply meant you can't have an open top. What the OP shows in his screenshot will never work as far as I know. 

I don't recall ever needing more than 2 blocks thick. I've made bases at the bottom of lakes, even with windows to look out. Sadly there are no fish swimming by.

1 hour ago, seven said:

I simply meant you can't have an open top. What the OP shows in his screenshot will never work as far as I know. 

I don't recall ever needing more than 2 blocks thick. I've made bases at the bottom of lakes, even with windows to look out. Sadly there are no fish swimming by.

I think the OP was showing that putting a block in that spot where there is water and then removing it wouldn't remove the water.

9 hours ago, Riamus said:

I think the OP was showing that putting a block in that spot where there is water and then removing it wouldn't remove the water.

yup yup! thats what i tried to say/do! :) 

And yea i tested also placing water myself at different spots, and that also works perfectly fine. Its really just the pregen-water on the navezgane map that... somehow is set to always reappear, so its completely impossible to remove the lakes on Navezgane! Very cool info you dropped, about the extra-water-file for that map! That surely must be it :)

But ofc im already content right now... it just being a Navezgane specific bug makes it so nieche that i would never expect the devs to fix it, while the game has much more glaring and far bigger problems!

Ty for the tips and stuff both :)

1 hour ago, Brodem said:

yup yup! thats what i tried to say/do! :) 

And yea i tested also placing water myself at different spots, and that also works perfectly fine. Its really just the pregen-water on the navezgane map that... somehow is set to always reappear, so its completely impossible to remove the lakes on Navezgane! Very cool info you dropped, about the extra-water-file for that map! That surely must be it :)

But ofc im already content right now... it just being a Navezgane specific bug makes it so nieche that i would never expect the devs to fix it, while the game has much more glaring and far bigger problems!

Ty for the tips and stuff both :)

No problem.  Good to know that it's related only to the water already placed on that map.  I'd be almost positive that it's that extra water file causing that.  Just not sure why it causes it or if that's intentional.  Or even why that file is there in the first place.