Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
bobrpggamer

bobrpggamer

I use VMware Workstation a lot and to my knowledge I could have 3 VMs of the PC I am using right now (i7 860) These VMs would mainly be working off of E-cores and the Idea of having these running at one time sounds cool to me.

3 of these VMs running with E-cores without breaking a sweat while doing modern gaming.

4 Core
16 Gb RAM
Windows 10

E-cores used = 12, leaving the P-cores to use for gaming. This is also why I chose the 96 GB RAM, otherwise you would rally not need any more than 64GB for almost anything.

Here is an example if I want to choose which cores to use.

Spoiler

Encoding 1:
4 Core
16 Gb RAM
Windows 10

Encoding VMX 1:

Processor0.use = "FALSE"
Processor1.use = "TRUE"    1 Performance
Processor2.use = "FALSE"
Processor3.use = "TRUE"    1 Performance
Processor4.use = "FALSE"
Processor5.use = "FALSE"
Processor6.use = "FALSE"
Processor7.use = "FALSE"
Processor8.use = "FALSE"
Processor9.use = "TRUE"    1 Efficiency
Processor10.use = "TRUE"    1 Efficiency
Processor11.use = "TRUE"    1 Efficiency
Processor12.use = "FALSE"
Processor13.use = "FALSE"
Processor14.use = "FALSE"
Processor15.use = "FALSE"
Processor16.use = "FALSE"
Processor17.use = "FALSE"
Processor18.use = "FALSE"
Processor19.use = "FALSE"

You can pretty much choose which cores you want to do - thanks to a post on a forum.

I do video and audio encoding, different 3D graphics projects here and there a lot of watching movies - preferably UHD I also do some retro gaming in VMs so I can cheat In some older DOS RPGs like Ultima and Might and Magic that does not let you save very often.

All and all I have not had a AMD CPU since the Athlon64 X2, and I just like Intel, I do not know exactly why but I do.

Yep, those E-Cores are going to be an issue. Either disable them, or use software to circumvent their use. If you want Performance without spending a fortune, AMD is where it is at. Has been that way since the 3000-series released. They are even kicking Nvidia's ass as a 6900XT will run the same or better performance as your 4070Ti for nearly half the price. The only reason to get the Nvidia card would be for RayTracing, and that is a pretty steep markup for a single feature that isn't used in 90% of games that exist. Those basement bargain drives will end up costing you in the long run as well. A Sabrent or Samsung drive costs only a slight bit more, is 33% faster, and has a track record as being one of the most reliable drives around. Your choice by SK Hynix is about as reliable as any off-brand product like Kingston or Inland performance. Expect failure to occur within a year or two instead of around a decade from now.

I seen the reviews of these M.2 drives and pretty much noticed that while the Samsung drive get more reviews, the ones I chose got 4 out of 5 stars and they seem like a decent company. But I will take your advice and look into other brands.

bobrpggamer

bobrpggamer

I use VMware Workstation a lot and to my knowledge I could have 3 VMs of the PC I am using right now (i7 860) These VMs would mainly be working off of E-cores and the Idea of having these running at one time sounds cool to me.

3 of these VMs running with E-cores without breaking a sweat while doing modern gaming.

4 Core
16 Gb RAM
Windows 10

E-cores used = 12, leaving the P-cores to use for gaming. This is also why I chose the 96 GB RAM, otherwise you would rally not need any more than 64GB for almost anything.

Spoiler

Encoding 1:
4 Core
16 Gb RAM
Windows 10

Encoding VMX 1:

Processor0.use = "FALSE"
Processor2.use = "FALSE"
Processor4.use = "FALSE"
Processor5.use = "FALSE"
Processor6.use = "FALSE"
Processor7.use = "FALSE"
Processor8.use = "FALSE"

You can pretty much choose which cores you want to do - thanks to a post on a forum.

I do video and audio encoding, different 3D graphics projects here and there a lot of watching movies - preferably UHD I also do some retro gaming in VMs so I can cheat In some older DOS RPGs like Ultima and Might and Magic that does not let you save very often.

All and all I have not had a AMD CPU since the Athlon64 X2, and I just like Intel, I do not know exactly why but I do.

Yep, those E-Cores are going to be an issue. Either disable them, or use software to circumvent their use. If you want Performance without spending a fortune, AMD is where it is at. Has been that way since the 3000-series released. They are even kicking Nvidia's ass as a 6900XT will run the same or better performance as your 4070Ti for nearly half the price. The only reason to get the Nvidia card would be for RayTracing, and that is a pretty steep markup for a single feature that isn't used in 90% of games that exist. Those basement bargain drives will end up costing you in the long run as well. A Sabrent or Samsung drive costs only a slight bit more, is 33% faster, and has a track record as being one of the most reliable drives around. Your choice by SK Hynix is about as reliable as any off-brand product like Kingston or Inland performance. Expect failure to occur within a year or two instead of around a decade from now.

I seen the reviews of these M.2 drives and pretty much noticed that while the Samsung drive get more reviews, the ones I chose got 4 out of 5 stars and they seem like a decent company. But I will take your advice and look into other brands.

bobrpggamer

bobrpggamer

4 Core
16 Gb RAM
Windows 10

Spoiler

Encoding 1:
4 Core
16 Gb RAM
Windows 10

Encoding VMX 1:

Processor0.use = "FALSE"
Processor2.use = "FALSE"
Processor4.use = "FALSE"
Processor5.use = "FALSE"
Processor6.use = "FALSE"
Processor7.use = "FALSE"
Processor8.use = "FALSE"

bobrpggamer

bobrpggamer

Spoiler

4 Core
16 Gb RAM
Windows 10

Spoiler

Encoding 1:
4 Core
16 Gb RAM
Windows 10

Encoding VMX 1:

Processor0.use = "FALSE"
Processor2.use = "FALSE"
Processor4.use = "FALSE"
Processor5.use = "FALSE"
Processor6.use = "FALSE"
Processor7.use = "FALSE"
Processor8.use = "FALSE"