Tearing Down Built Items

VonTherodere

Hey all. Looked very briefly to see if there was anything like this on the forums already (and there still could be but I may have been searching the wrong terms). One idea I had was a tool of some sort that, instead of repairing and upgrading blocks, can tear down blocks placed by the person using the tool, or perhaps only works in claimed areas? I think something of this sort would make upgrading a house easier, especially after having applied x3 upgrades to a rebar frame. I don't know how many times i've built a small room, wanted to make it bigger, torn everything down and expanded, and then later wanted to widen/change it more. I wouldn't expect the tool to salvage any of the blocks so downgraded as that would be part of the loss, just like destroying them with a pick or axe would be. The tool would simply be a faster way of making a hole, leaving the more important tools free for mining and chopping other things. What do you think? Good or bad?

Yep! This idea gets tossed around at least once a month from what I can gather: [url]http://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?13198-Guys-we-need-a-Crowbar!!!-Here-s-why&highlight=crowbar[/url] [url]http://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?11474-Crowbar&highlight=crowbar[/url] [url]http://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?9317-Uncrafting-Tool-to-pull-stuff-appart-and-pick-things-up!-fox&highlight=crowbar[/url] To be honest it looks like there are comments about a deconstruct/teardown/downgrade tool since the forums were started! All they would have to do to prevent abuse is make it only work on "upgraded" block types so people couldn't wreck all the POI's and make it not work at all within someone else's landclaim plot.

Actually since they have land claim block system in the game, I still don't get why wood frames are so durable to a fireaxe. I mean, it is a wood chopping tool and it can't beat down wood?? If we have land claim blocks to stop pvpers from getting all bent out of shape about their bases being attacked (kind of an odd concept to not expect that sort of thing in pvp, but I digress...), then why do I still need to whack the wood walls 20 times with a wood chopping tool??

Thing about a tool that massively, easily tears upgrades down is that it would work on other people's builds and POIs. I rather like it how it is now where you're punished for making poor building choices or rushing. It gives you an incentive to plan out ahead of time.

[QUOTE=Vinyl;132179]Thing about a tool that massively, easily tears upgrades down is that it would work on other people's builds and POIs. I rather like it how it is now where you're punished for making poor building choices or rushing. It gives you an incentive to plan out ahead of time.[/QUOTE] There is land protection. Why make my own blocks so tough if we have land protection?

[QUOTE=gcomerfo;132185]There is land protection. Why make my own blocks so tough if we have land protection?[/QUOTE] Because making your blocks weaker makes POI weaker too. You do have the option of asking your server to lowest block durability possible at a set time each day/week so deconstruction could be done quickly. Single player you can do this any time, but I never do because it feels cheap to me. Lowest block durability + chainsaw/auger should go quite fast.

I am for being able to tear down and recycle a percentage of the materials I used. I think it only makes sense after all...if you can salvage a 2x4...why not reuse it if it is a valuable resource. That said in multiplayer you should only be able to rip down things that you your self built or that are in the claimed area. Otherwise, it should be no different then any other attack on a block. I mean really...I goto my neighbors house and start ripping off paneling...they are going to get pissed and be resistant to the theft. So not being able to do it would be a form or extension of a users defense of their structures.

I think any block covered by your land claims protection should be easy for the owner to destroy or downgrade. You wouldnt want people running around with crowbars destroying all the poi locations. So i think only property covered by your land claim should be subject to this downgrade/teardown process Also, I have seen tons of these posts lately, and when that happens, TFP usually responds in the next few patches. So just wait for it :D

Archived