Discrepancy between actual and displayed base damage for a mod-added weapon?

FramFramson

I recently added a gun pack - or more accurately a single gun from a pack, which the modder kindly cut down to just the one .44-firing SMG I wanted.

I loaded up the game to test the gun, and saw it had base damage of 100 (comparable to the M60 base damage) which I was worried might be too strong, but when I used the gun in game it was very weak, taking about a dozen rounds to kill ordinary zombies.

Okay, troubleshooting time, no problem. I looked in the mod's item.xml and that's when I discovered the base damage of the weapon was only 10:

<passive_effect name="EntityDamage" operation="base_add" value="10" tags="perkMachineGunner"/>

Oops! Well, that's easy enough to edit; I've tweaked weapon mods before. I changed the value to 72 (roughly the amount I felt worked to match vanilla guns, taking into account ammo type, mag size, DPM, etc.). Loaded the game back up, tested the weapon, felt great, no problems and the damage felt appropriate now.  All good, right?

Only problem I have is that the displayed damage value of the gun in-game, in the weapon information panel, is now 172. What.

Never had this problem before. Clearly the discrepancy was already in the mod before I edited the base value, because it was originally showing 100 instead of the real value of 10, and now it's showing ~172 rather than the real value of ~72. What am I missing? What should I be looking for to fix the display bug?

Functionally, everything is fine, so this is an annoyance rather than anything critical, but I would still like to fix it if possible!

Thanks.

weapon damage is based on both that value and the ammo being used.

44 cal ball bullets do 70 points of damage, add the additional +10 from the line you showed above so unperked you would get 80 damage, not 10

I am also assuming the modder changed the tags in the 44 cal ammo to include additional guns or do they have custom ammo created for it?

This is the Entity Damage line for 44 ball ammo

<passive_effect name="EntityDamage" operation="base_set" value="70" tags="perkGunslinger,revolver"/>

Without seeing all the code, I believe the 100 damage is correct; but not being applied properly in game.

Edited by BFT2020 (see edit history)

Something I just remembered, I changed two weapons in the game to use the 44 cal, the pipe pistol and the lever action rifle.  The pipe pistol worked out of the gate properly, but I think the issue I had with the lever action rifle was not applying the correct damage in game (not sure on the display though).  It was a tag issue that I eventually figured out.

If the weapon doesn't have the same tags as the ammo, it won't applied the damage.  So the mod should add perkMachineGunner to 44 cal ammo.  That is why you are only seeing 10 damage with the SMG as the ammo damage is not being applied.

<append xpath="/items/item[@name='ammo44MagnumBulletBall']/effect_group/passive_effect[@name='EntityDamage']/@tags">,perkMachineGunner </append>

Adding your tag so you get the notification since I didn't quote your original post

@FramFramson

Edited by BFT2020
Adding OPs tag for notification (see edit history)

1 hour ago, BFT2020 said:

Something I just remembered, I changed two weapons in the game to use the 44 cal, the pipe pistol and the lever action rifle.  The pipe pistol worked out of the gate properly, but I think the issue I had with the lever action rifle was not applying the correct damage in game (not sure on the display though).  It was a tag issue that I eventually figured out.

If the weapon doesn't have the same tags as the ammo, it won't applied the damage.  So the mod should add perkMachineGunner to 44 cal ammo.  That is why you are only seeing 10 damage with the SMG as the ammo damage is not being applied.

<append xpath="/items/item[@name='ammo44MagnumBulletBall']/effect_group/passive_effect[@name='EntityDamage']/@tags">,perkMachineGunner </append>

Adding your tag so you get the notification since I didn't quote your original post

@FramFramson

Makes sense. Luckily I actually wanted to revert it so that it's tagged as a pistol rather than a machine gun anyway! I'll test it in a bit.

Edited by FramFramson (see edit history)