removing objects/items from loot table

Dark Wun

6 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

That will remove all instances of cotton in the loot file

nice, thank you.

So just stick this line right at the end in loot.xml in a particular save game and cotton in random loot is gone from that point on?

8 hours ago, Dark Wun said:

nice, thank you.

So just stick this line right at the end in loot.xml in a particular save game and cotton in random loot is gone from that point on?

No you need to create a new file for mods, grab a small one example but your mod loot file would look something like

<config>
<remove xpath=“//item[@name=‘resourceCropCottonPlant’]”/>
</config>

Edited by BFT2020 (see edit history)

19 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

No you need to create a new file for mods, grab a small one example but your mod loot file would look something like

Alright, thanks, so I've got the directory structure worked out for my small mod and I think I can figure out what to put in the ModInfo.xml no problem:

NoCotton
    \config
        \loot.xml
    \ModInfo.xml

So now I  make the loot.xml file:
<config>
<remove xpath=“//item[@name=‘resourceCropCottonPlant’]”/>
</config>

Just those three lines and my mod is complete? Or is there some code I need to tell it to call the default loot.xml file and then modify it with xpath?

2 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Nope that should work for you.  If it doesn't give a shout and I will help you troubleshoot it

No dice on the first try. I think there's a syntax error. I got this message in the console in red letters:

ERR XML loader: Loading XML patch file 'loot.xml' from mod 'Noloot' failed:

EXC "" is an unexpected token. The expected token is "" or "", Line 2, position 15.

Is there a way I can copy feedback from the console, I had to manually type that and may have got some of the " symbols wrong?

19 minutes ago, Dark Wun said:

No dice on the first try. I think there's a syntax error. I got this message in the console in red letters:

ERR XML loader: Loading XML patch file 'loot.xml' from mod 'Noloot' failed:

EXC "" is an unexpected token. The expected token is "" or "", Line 2, position 15.

Is there a way I can copy feedback from the console, I had to manually type that and may have got some of the " symbols wrong?

My code works for me.

Line 2, position 15 would be the first character after the = sign.  Make sure that is a double quotation mark not a single apostrophe twice

If you copy it from here, the text also might get messed up.  So I would type it in manually.

23 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

If you copy it from here, the text also might get messed up

yep, you're spot on; some of the characters copied directly from here don't get properly recognized in the text editor. I changed that and everything seems to be working as planned.

First step of my modding complete, cheers!