Help editing mods

Hoping sometbody out there can help with the for dummies version of how to edit a mod config file.  In particular, I downloaded a mod to increase item mod slots to match quality.  While I appreciate legendary (tier 6) having 6 mods slots, I was looking to adjust it down a notch, as I was mostly wanting the mod to have items display a consistent # of slots per item tier.  Getting tier 5 with 3 slots or getting tier 3 with 4 slots is just wierd to me.

Also, I downloaded a craft from containers mod, the only issue I have is it has an excessive range.  My horde base is 200 metres away (approx) and I can pull resources from home to upgrade or repair.

Any help would be appreciated thanks

1 hour ago, garybrunsvold said:

Hoping sometbody out there can help with the for dummies version of how to edit a mod config file.  In particular, I downloaded a mod to increase item mod slots to match quality.  While I appreciate legendary (tier 6) having 6 mods slots, I was looking to adjust it down a notch, as I was mostly wanting the mod to have items display a consistent # of slots per item tier.  Getting tier 5 with 3 slots or getting tier 3 with 4 slots is just wierd to me.

Also, I downloaded a craft from containers mod, the only issue I have is it has an excessive range.  My horde base is 200 metres away (approx) and I can pull resources from home to upgrade or repair.

Any help would be appreciated thanks

This will probably get migrated to Discussion and Requests in the modding section, but to answer the first part

<effect_group name="meleeWpnSpearT0StoneSpear">

<passive_effect name="ModSlots" operation="base_set" value="1,1,1,2,2,3" tier="1,2,3,4,5,6"/>
    </effect_group>

What you will be looking for is any code that modifies the number of ModSlots.  Using the stone spear as an example (and setting T0 gear to 1 slot only), you would need to have the code change value from 1,1,1,2,2,3 to 1,6 and tier to 1,1.  You can also just leave tier alone and change value to 1,1,1,1,1,1.  After those changes the stone spear would only have 1 slot regardless of quality level.

11 minutes ago, garybrunsvold said:

Thank you for that.  Now for the true for Dummies part, When I opened the config file, what do I need to do to edit any of the values.  I was unable to alter anything,

Thanks again.

Those might be a good place to start. Some of the tutorials are slightly older but most things should still apply and would be a good starting point. Then if something goes wrong come on back and I'm sure someone will help you get sorted. 👍