Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
AtomicUs5000

AtomicUs5000

I can see the argument of being able to find or buy everything eliminates the need to craft. I probably wouldn't find it completely terrible if weapons and tools were only craftable, and the trader only dealt in parts, but the whole joy of finding something that might have better stats goes away. Sure, you could just apply those random stats to what you've crafted, but now you'll be crafting things as much as possible to get the best stats and that would get old real fast. If the random stats are not applied at all, then you are left with still not crafting something very often.

Maybe as an alternative, make the mods only craftable and not lootable and place some durability on those as well. Perhaps similar to what Scyris mentioned, maybe allow those crafted mods to add some modifiers with some arbitrary amount determined by your crafting level just to amp up the importance a tad.

2 hours ago, Vampirenostra said:

BTW skill magazines leave a strange aftertaste, in some way they are fine, I mean any way it is a breath of fresh air, but it is still looting all you can, or you'll never craft...

It definitely is a strange setup. Loot to craft, but you probably won't need to craft because you looted.

Ideally, what would be the most interesting to me would be that most things can be obtained any way, but some things can only be found, some things can only be purchased, some things are only quest rewards, and some things can only be crafted. Of course these things should carry some weight of importance in the overall gameplay in a nearly equal way. If the game can achieve that, I would personally consider it perfection.

AtomicUs5000

AtomicUs5000

I can see the argument of being able to find or buy everything eliminates the need to craft. I probably wouldn't find it completely terrible if weapons and tools were only craftable, and the trader only dealt in parts, but the whole joy of finding something that might have better stats goes away. Sure, you could just apply those random stats to what you've crafted, but now you'll be crafting things as much as possible to get the best stats and that would get old real fast. If the random stats are not applied at all, then you are left with still not crafting something very often.

Maybe as an alternative, make the mods only craftable and not lootable and place some durability on those as well. Perhaps similar to what Scyris mentioned, maybe allow those crafted mods to add some modifiers with some arbitrary amount determined by your crafting level just to amp up the importance a tad.

1 hour ago, Vampirenostra said:

BTW skill magazines leave a strange aftertaste, in some way they are fine, I mean any way it is a breath of fresh air, but it is still looting all you can, or you'll never craft...

It definitely is a strange setup. Loot to craft, but you probably won't need to craft because you looted.

Ideally, what would be the most interesting to me would be that most things can be obtained any way, but some things can only be found, some things can only be purchased, and some things can only be crafted. Of course these things should carry some weight of importance in the overall gameplay in a nearly equal way. If the game can achieve that, I would personally consider it perfection.