TFP (kind of) broke crafting skill modding with the alpha 21 build

Taien

Hey all.  So I just wanted to express my gripe with the fact that b324 (alpha 21 release build) removed the ability to scroll down in the crafting skills unlocks section.  This really sucks because I had already added another tier of items on top of the existing ones that was built onto this system...but now you can't scroll down to see the unlocks beyond tier 5 in any skill.  I reported this as a bug but was told "the bug was the ability to scroll because the vanilla game only has five tiers" which came over to me as a minor "eff you" to modders. Anyway, it bugs me that I can't add more tiers to existing crafting skills anymore without their unlocks being invisible due to a minor GUI "fix."  

Anyway, here's a way to add new items to crafting skills now, while remembering to take into account the skill book finding buff effect (the first two lines).  I just removed the skills entirely and put them back in with additions rather than trying to pick out the individual paths to insertBefore and such.  As you can see in this example I've modded the game to allow tier 6 crafting of harvesting tools and added 3 additional tiers of harvesting tools.

<setattribute xpath="progression/perks/perk[@name='perkMiner69r']/effect_group/passive_effect[@operation='perc_add' and @tags='harvestingToolsCSM']/requirement" name="value">200</setattribute>
    <setattribute xpath="progression/perks/perk[@name='perkMiner69r']/effect_group/passive_effect[@operation='base_set' and @tags='harvestingToolsCSM']/requirement" name="value">200</setattribute>
    <remove xpath="progression/crafting_skills/crafting_skill[@name='craftingHarvestingTools']"/>
    <insertBefore xpath="progression/crafting_skills/crafting_skill[@name='craftingRepairTools']">
		<crafting_skill name="craftingHarvestingTools" max_level="200" parent="attCrafting" name_key="craftingHarvestingToolsName" desc_key="craftingHarvestingToolsDesc" long_desc_key="craftingHarvestingToolsLongDesc" icon="ui_game_symbol_tool">

<display_entry icon="meleeToolRepairT0StoneAxe" name_key="harvestToolsStone" has_quality="true" unlock_level="1,3,5,7,9,10" >
				<unlock_entry item="meleeToolRepairT0StoneAxe,meleeToolShovelT0StoneShovel" unlock_tier="1" />
			</display_entry>
			<display_entry icon="meleeToolPickT1IronPickaxe" name_key="harvestToolsIron" has_quality="true" unlock_level="11,14,17,20,23,26" >
				<unlock_entry item="meleeToolPickT1IronPickaxe,meleeToolShovelT1IronShovel,meleeToolAxeT1IronFireaxe" unlock_tier="1" />
			</display_entry>
			<display_entry icon="meleeToolPickT2SteelPickaxe" name_key="harvestToolsSteel" has_quality="true" unlock_level="27,34,41,48,54,59" >
				<unlock_entry item="meleeToolPickT2SteelPickaxe,meleeToolShovelT2SteelShovel,meleeToolAxeT2SteelAxe" unlock_tier="1" />
			</display_entry>
			<display_entry item="meleeToolAllSteelParts" unlock_level="40" />
			<display_entry icon="meleeToolPickT3Auger" name_key="harvestToolsMechanical" has_quality="true" unlock_level="60,68,76,84,92,100" >
				<unlock_entry item="meleeToolPickT3Auger,meleeToolAxeT3Chainsaw" unlock_tier="1" />
			</display_entry>
			<display_entry item="meleeToolAxeT3ChainsawParts" unlock_level="80" />
			<display_entry icon="meleeToolPickT2SteelPickaxe" name_key="harvestToolsMythril" has_quality="true" unlock_level="105,109,113,117,121,125" >
				<unlock_entry item="meleeToolPickT4MythrilPickaxe,meleeToolAxeT4MythrilAxe,meleeToolShovelT4MythrilShovel" unlock_tier="1" />
			</display_entry>
			<display_entry icon="meleeToolPickT2SteelPickaxe" name_key="harvestToolsAdamantite" has_quality="true" unlock_level="130,134,138,142,146,150" >
				<unlock_entry item="meleeToolPickT5AdamantitePickaxe,meleeToolAxeT5AdamantiteAxe,meleeToolShovelT5AdamantiteShovel" unlock_tier="1" />
			</display_entry>
			<display_entry icon="meleeToolPickT3Auger" name_key="harvestToolsUberAuger" has_quality="true" unlock_level="160,168,176,184,192,200" >
				<unlock_entry item="meleeToolAllT6UberAuger" unlock_tier="1" />
			</display_entry>

<effect_group>
				<passive_effect name="RecipeTagUnlocked" operation="base_set" level="1,200" value="1" tags="meleeToolRepairT0StoneAxe,meleeToolShovelT0StoneShovel"/>
				<passive_effect name="RecipeTagUnlocked" operation="base_set" level="11,200" value="1" tags="meleeToolPickT1IronPickaxe,meleeToolShovelT1IronShovel,meleeToolAxeT1IronFireaxe"/>
				<passive_effect name="RecipeTagUnlocked" operation="base_set" level="27,200" value="1" tags="meleeToolPickT2SteelPickaxe,meleeToolShovelT2SteelShovel,meleeToolAxeT2SteelAxe"/>
				<passive_effect name="RecipeTagUnlocked" operation="base_set" level="40,200" value="1" tags="meleeToolAllSteelParts"/>
				<passive_effect name="RecipeTagUnlocked" operation="base_set" level="60,200" value="1" tags="meleeToolPickT3Auger,meleeToolAxeT3Chainsaw"/>
				<passive_effect name="RecipeTagUnlocked" operation="base_set" level="80,200" value="1" tags="meleeToolAxeT3ChainsawParts"/>
				<passive_effect name="RecipeTagUnlocked" operation="base_set" level="105,200" value="1" tags="meleeToolPickT4MythrilPickaxe,meleeToolAxeT4MythrilAxe,meleeToolShovelT4MythrilShovel"/>
				<passive_effect name="RecipeTagUnlocked" operation="base_set" level="130,200" value="1" tags="meleeToolPickT5AdamantitePickaxe,meleeToolAxeT5AdamantiteAxe,meleeToolShovelT5AdamantiteShovel"/>
				<passive_effect name="RecipeTagUnlocked" operation="base_set" level="160,200" value="1" tags="meleeToolAllT6UberAuger"/>

<passive_effect name="CraftingTier" operation="base_add" level="3,5,7,9,10,200" value="1,2,3,4,5,5" tags="meleeToolRepairT0StoneAxe,meleeToolShovelT0StoneShovel"/>
				<passive_effect name="CraftingTier" operation="base_add" level="14,17,20,23,26,200" value="1,2,3,4,5,5" tags="meleeToolPickT1IronPickaxe,meleeToolShovelT1IronShovel,meleeToolAxeT1IronFireaxe"/>
				<passive_effect name="CraftingTier" operation="base_add" level="34,41,48,54,59,200" value="1,2,3,4,5,5" tags="meleeToolPickT2SteelPickaxe,meleeToolShovelT2SteelShovel,meleeToolAxeT2SteelAxe"/>
				<passive_effect name="CraftingTier" operation="base_add" level="68,76,84,92,100,200" value="1,2,3,4,5,5" tags="meleeToolPickT3Auger,meleeToolAxeT3Chainsaw"/>
				<passive_effect name="CraftingTier" operation="base_add" level="109,113,117,121,125,200" value="1,2,3,4,5,5" tags="meleeToolPickT4MythrilPickaxe,meleeToolAxeT4MythrilAxe,meleeToolShovelT4MythrilShovel"/>
				<passive_effect name="CraftingTier" operation="base_add" level="134,138,142,146,150,200" value="1,2,3,4,5,5" tags="meleeToolPickT5AdamantitePickaxe,meleeToolAxeT5AdamantiteAxe,meleeToolShovelT5AdamantiteShovel"/>
				<passive_effect name="CraftingTier" operation="base_add" level="168,176,184,192,200" value="1,2,3,4,5" tags="meleeToolAllT6UberAuger"/>
			</effect_group>
		</crafting_skill>
    </insertBefore>

I registered a similar complaint a long time ago regarding the backpack and recipe windows. Like "yeah, buy default theres no scroll bar.... but if a modded game makes the backpack larger or the recipes have more than 5 ingredients, then just have it scroll."

but, i got no answer.  Some windows scroll/page (like adding more recipes) and for some reason others do not and honestly "adding the ability to scroll windows when the ability to mod is supported" seems like a no brainer to keep the UI flexible (when modded) as well as maintain its standard look/feel.

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

Thank you for that, because that is exactly how I felt.  

At least program it so that IF there are more than five crafting tiers, it will automatically allow scrolling.  For example, the normal perks only have five points each, but if you mod in a perk with ten, it lets you change pages on the unlocks section automatically.  Couldn't they do something similar for crafting skill unlocks?  The functionality to scroll was already there - they simply removed it in build 324. :( 

59 minutes ago, Taien said:

Thank you for that, because that is exactly how I felt.  

At least program it so that IF there are more than five crafting tiers, it will automatically allow scrolling.  For example, the normal perks only have five points each, but if you mod in a perk with ten, it lets you change pages on the unlocks section automatically.  Couldn't they do something similar for crafting skill unlocks?  The functionality to scroll was already there - they simply removed it in build 324. :( 

I have read that "a UI refresh" or update is planned before the game goes gold (along with sounds rework, and animations rework) so hopefully they will get scrolling in for stuff like this, but I'm not as hopeful now if they recently removed something that previously scrolled as it feels like purposeful cleanup/prep for the future.