A21 Join server menus are bad

globeadue

The new menus on join server are nice but poorly implemented.
1. fresh user is force prompted with the search filter popup (the way it is now) when clicking "join a game" from the main menu
2. existing user should not be forced prompted to the search filter popup when clicking "join a game" from the main menu

3. ideally an existing user should be selected to favorites/history list when clicking "join a game" from the main menu 

• 2 weeks later...

I'll post here the findings for anyone else needing it.

Option 1:
Create a Chrome Bookmarklet

Steps:
- Right Click on your bookmarks bar

- Add page

- In 'Name' field add something meaningful for your (ex. your server name)

- In 'URL' add the function that opens steam URL:

javascript:(function() {
  var element = document.createElement('a');
  element.href = 'steam://connect/mylocalIp:port';
  element.style.display = 'none';
  document.body.appendChild(element);
  element.click();
  document.body.removeChild(element);
})();

- replace 'mylocalIp:port' with your actual local/remote IP + your port. Ex: 192.168.1.1:27002
- Save this.
Now you can click on your chrome bookmark every time you want to join this particular server

Option 2:
Add your server to favorites via steam.

- Open steam;
- Click View -> Game Server
- Search for your server either on LAN or remote and add it to your favorites.
- Click connect.
- If last time you opened 'Game Servers' your last used tab was 'Favorites', that's what you'll see next time you open it so will be easier to just click on your fav and connect.

My favorite is the one with javascript bookmarklet but it might not work for everyone because it depends on the security level you've set on your browser.

3 hours ago, MrCryptton said:

I'll post here the findings for anyone else needing it.

Option 1:
Create a Chrome Bookmarklet

Steps:
- Right Click on your bookmarks bar

- Add page

- In 'Name' field add something meaningful for your (ex. your server name)

- In 'URL' add the function that opens steam URL:

javascript:(function() {
  var element = document.createElement('a');
  element.href = 'steam://connect/mylocalIp:port';
  element.style.display = 'none';
  document.body.appendChild(element);
  element.click();
  document.body.removeChild(element);
})();

- replace 'mylocalIp:port' with your actual local/remote IP + your port. Ex: 192.168.1.1:27002
- Save this.
Now you can click on your chrome bookmark every time you want to join this particular server

Option 2:
Add your server to favorites via steam.

- Open steam;
- Click View -> Game Server
- Search for your server either on LAN or remote and add it to your favorites.
- Click connect.
- If last time you opened 'Game Servers' your last used tab was 'Favorites', that's what you'll see next time you open it so will be easier to just click on your fav and connect.

My favorite is the one with javascript bookmarklet but it might not work for everyone because it depends on the security level you've set on your browser.

Honestly, not sure why you would go through all that trouble just to make a steam connect link.

In Chrome, just go to Manage Bookmarks. Click on the three dots in the upper right and choose the option to add bookmark. Enter a name and the Steam Connect URL

steam://connect/ServerIP:Port

d5cd38e05dbdc1fb1f547a213c7588ea.png

If you want a desktop shortcut all you have to do is drag and drop any web url to your desktop to create a web shortcut, and then edit the url in the shortcut to the Steam Connect url.

steam://connect/68.41.181.46:31010

03e5d92fd9f6cd423015bca0bd5adbbe.png

So yo do know a shorter way after all, you just like repeating other people's words 😛

Anyway, don't know why but this didn't work the first time I tried it and upon searching the internet I've seen others that encountered the same issue and I just dropped the simple URL approach and instead tried this JS approach. Maybe I misplaced some characters but I didn't feel like testing more at the time since I had a working solution. Also, you don't need to click 5 dots on the burger menu, go to bookmarks, take a tour through the library, talk with the librarian, ask your security guard how's the weather in order to add a new page (bookmark), you can literally just right click on the bookmark bar and add a new page.

However, I just tried it again and it worked just fine, including on password protected servers.
URL:      steam://connect/ServerIP:Port/password

So, thanks for the reply. Definitely what I was looking for.

Edited by MrCryptton (see edit history)