Looking for Mod where books are the only way to unlock items

DesertViper

1 hour ago, DesertViper said:

Is there by chance a mod that disables perk-unlocked items so the only way to unlock is by finding the related book?

The mod I am working on right now does that, along with a bunch of other changes I am making.  I might be able to pull the code that does that, though it is rough right now (no localization and I haven't changed the tips that tell you how to unlock them).  If there is a mod out there already, that might be better especially if they are further along than I am.

Also, A21 is already planning on removing perk unlocks for recipes so this would only work until A21 drops which then replaces the schematics with the new learn by reading system.

Edited by BFT2020 (see edit history)

17 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

The mod I am working on right now does that, along with a bunch of other changes I am making.  I might be able to pull the code that does that, though it is rough right now (no localization and I haven't changed the tips that tell you how to unlock them).  If there is a mod out there already, that might be better especially if they are further along than I am.

Also, A21 is already planning on removing perk unlocks for recipes so this would only work until A21 drops which then replaces the schematics with the new learn by reading system.

Very cool! Hope to see the modlet soon!

I got the easy part done (pulling the code to remove perk unlocks), I just now have to compare the recipes via unlocks vs what you can unlock via perk books and schematics to make sure there is still a way to get them unlock in-game.  If they don't have a corresponding way, I will create a new schematic for it and have it inserted in the loot tables and trader.  This will take some time as I have to go through each one individually.

Alright, I overestimated how long it was going to take

https://github.com/BFT2020/PerkUnlocks_Remove.git

This removes all recipe unlocks from the perks (but leaves them in the perk books).

For recipe unlocks that were only in the perks, I did the following:

• Gunpowder crafting bundle - added to grenades schematic
  • All mines - added to rocket launcher schematic
  • Gas crafting bundle - added to the gas can schematic
  • Fort bites, steroids, and recog - added to antibiotics schematic
  • car battery - added to motorcycle, 4x4, and gyrocopter

It loaded fine on my end and it is the code I use for my mod, but if you find any issues, just let me know.

14 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Alright, I overestimated how long it was going to take

https://github.com/BFT2020/PerkUnlocks_Remove.git

This removes all recipe unlocks from the perks (but leaves them in the perk books).

For recipe unlocks that were only in the perks, I did the following:

• Gunpowder crafting bundle - added to grenades schematic
  • All mines - added to rocket launcher schematic
  • Gas crafting bundle - added to the gas can schematic
  • Fort bites, steroids, and recog - added to antibiotics schematic
  • car battery - added to motorcycle, 4x4, and gyrocopter

It loaded fine on my end and it is the code I use for my mod, but if you find any issues, just let me know.

This is superb thank you! I always found it strange to be getting a perk in, say, pummel pete and suddenly my character magically knows how to build a baseball bat haha. This will put more focus on looting to discover books. Thanks again can't wait to give it a try.

On 1/11/2023 at 4:13 PM, DesertViper said:

This is superb thank you! I always found it strange to be getting a perk in, say, pummel pete and suddenly my character magically knows how to build a baseball bat haha. This will put more focus on looting to discover books. Thanks again can't wait to give it a try.

I've always thought of it as being your character becoming more proficient in the underlying art / science / theory of pummelling things, so they are able to use this knowledge to craft a tool that is ideally suited to the job; a tool that in this case just so happens to be the everyday baseball bat!

Anyway, I just wanted to pop in and mention my slightly related mod that might be of some interest to you, and indeed to BFT2020.

I've went with a similar mindset, in that it seems strange our protagonist knows how to craft so many things from the get go, things that I'd certainly struggle with in real life! So, although I've not removed the perk-ability of learning these things I have made it that you have to learn crafting for everything somehow before you can craft them (be that through perk or schematic).

The mod is here on my own site, or here on Nexus. Please feel free to check it out if you think it would be of interest.