Hosting a dedicated server through website?

Mr Robville

Hi everyone.

Firstly, forgive me if I overlooked the information. I'm not very tech-savvy when it comes to online stuff.

I'm trying to find a tutorial that explains how to host a server on a website or online database. So far, all tutorials I came across that explain you how to host a dedicated server only tell how to host it from your PC. But when I turn my system off I want any people I'm playing with to be able to continue without closing down the server for them.

I have a webhost that I'm using for a couple websites and I basically want to run the server from there so that it's always online. I'm therefore not interested in renting a server since I'm already paying for online storage. Besides, if I can rent a server, that means that they were able to host it from their web space as well. So it is possible.

I don't need it to be publicly visible on the server list or anything. Only the people I know will connect.

Could anyone assist me with this? Any help is really appreciated. :)

7dtd is more of a cpu/ resource hog than a minecraft server with 0 players, i don't know any host that would allow it, even alot of vps providers shun such server usage, unless its vps slice, semi dedicated or dedicated.. all of which you will most likely on a linux distro.. you can check https://7dtd.illy.bz/ https://7dtd.illy.bz/wiki/Installation

and 'webhosts' are even worse than vps providers on overselling, so good luck with trying to get a 7dtd server on that if you even have access to linux console.

You won't unfortunately be able to run 7DTD on a web-host; you simply don't have the required access to the server, as your website will be running with a whole bunch of other websites on a single computer or virtual machine. On top of that, they'll probably have security set up to prevent applications from running from your hosting space, to limit attack vectors from viruses and other nasties.

What all this means is that essentially you have to have full control over the computer that is running the 7DTD server.

There are a three of ways of doing this:

1) Use a game host, who will host the game for you. I see little advantage in this. They tend to be expensive, and you can't run anything else on there like your website. They do keep the game up to date and provide management tools though.

2) Host yourself. This involves having a spare computer at home that you leave on 24/7. You then set up port-forwarding on your router to point to that server just as you would if you were hosting a game on your own PC. The disadvantages would be that the computer would need to be relatively powerful and therefore might bump up your electricity bill. The advantages are obviously no rental costs and very easy access to the server. You could also host what you liked likes on it. For example, I have a server at home running web hosting, email, OwnCloud and an Ampache music server. It would be trivial for me to add 7DTD, although the hardware is not up to scratch.

3) Use a third party host who allows you to rent a "computer". I say "computer", as unless you fork out huge wads of cash it won't be a dedicated computer like you could have at home, but rather a virtual machine / cloud computer. As Koolio points out, most of these are under powered and not setup for running games on. Therefore, you need to look at scalable solutions.

Two obvious providers spring to mind here: Amazon AWS and Digital Ocean. Both provide scalable servers that are yours to do what you like with. Having looked previously at their offerings, I would recommend Amazon over Digital Ocean for the casual user as they are a bit cheaper and provide easier access to Windows servers. Digital Ocean also do target themselves to web developers, whereas Amazon AWS is designed to be abused, with some of their high tier offerings featuring 4 4GB nVidia graphics cards, 32 CPU cores and 64 GB of memory, which they advertise as being for "3D application streaming, machine learning, video encoding, and other server-side graphics or GPU compute workloads". Of course you're gonna pay through the nose for something that good :)

You'll find prices for them here for Digital Ocean and here for Amazon AWS

Amazon AWS also gives you a year's free access of the entry-level tier, so you can give it a good testing for free. Note that the free tier might be a bit weak for running 7DTD, but the way the system is setup Amazon aren't going to notice if you over-stretch your server, unlike many other hosts. Because it is scalable, you can also get more compute capacity if you need it without having to re-install anything.

If you do go the Amazon AWS route, then all the tutorials you've looked at about setting up servers on your own PC will apply equally to your hosted server.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again, sorry for the late reply.

Thanks a lot for your replies. This explains why I couldn't find any tutorials.

Hosting a private server on a secondary machine seems like the best option. But the only secondary machine I have at my disposal has an Intel Celeron D 3ghz processor, 1GB RAM, an ATI HD 2600XT GPU and runs on WindowsXP so I reckon it's not fit for purpose. :p

Hosting a server requires a good Upload speed, which most home connections don't have. If your upload is too low people connecting to you will suffer some lag and the more logging in the more drastic the lag will be.

Archived