Rescuing survivors to help out at base.

KageOni

This idea might be too big to fit into the game but I would like to be able to find survivors out in the world and bring them to base to help with tasks. This would allow players to automate their base in the late game. 

It would start by finding survivors out in the world. They would primarily be found holding up in the loot rooms at the end of level 4 and 5 missions. Once the place is clear they will follow you to your base where you could assign them something to do.

I could see this working through a new tool. A pen and notepad that would be given out as a trader reward when you unlock level 4 missions.

You could use this tool on a helper and then something like a workbench to assign them to it. To instruct them what to build you would use the pen and pad to assign storage containers to a crafting station. Once assigned you can use the pen and pad to open the container and assign what items should go in that container and in what quantity. The helper working on the related crafting bench will attempt to produce the required items from the items that are in the container. 

Other roles could be assigned such as a quartermaster who's sole role would be to move supplies around the base. They would be assigned to a container or a series of containers and would then take anything out of those containers and move then to others that have need those supplies. This would allow you to have a detailed storage system but allow you to dump all your stuff into one box to have it automatically sorted. 

Security people could be assigned specific posts to stand at or could have a series of checkpoints to hit to create a path for them to patrol. They could also be assigned to follow another helper. This could be used to make sure your farmers, who might be exposed outside the walls of your base, have protection from the random wondering zombies. 

Each of these helpers would have the the same abilities and needs as the player. Opening their inventory enables you to equip them with clothes, armor, and weapons. Opening their inventory with the pen and pad lets you assign what items they should get themselves such as ammo, food and health items. They will also have the same level and skills system as the player. Survivors will be found at various levels with skill points already spent making them better for specific tasks right off the bat but as they level up you choose where to spend their new skill points. They can also read books that they are given. 

Having these helpers would be a whole new layer of gameplay that I think could extend the enjoyment and complexity of the late game while simultaneously freeing you from tedious crafting.

I've had the same thought that I'd love to meet and hole up with other survivors even in singleplayer but the part I'm not so sure about is their survivability.  Am I going to be able to keep an AI survivor alive?  Probably not unless they're made immortal, which would be kind of unfair.

Traitor Joel survives blood moons with absolutely pitiful defenses so maybe I'm just the one jerk the zombies swarm because the Duke is teaching me a lesson.  I don't think a right-minded survivor would join up with me.

On 1/31/2022 at 6:16 PM, Sal said:

7 days to die meets medieval dynasty!

I like the idea (sort of like the DF mod with trader guards) but I would rather them concentrate on bandits first before adding in something this complex.

Yeah, seems logical that that would be the first example of other humans in the game. Hopefully that means they are open to the idea of other human AI gameplay mechanics.