Eliminate unnecessary world download

EastCitySurvivor

Hi, new survivor here. Liking the game enough to switch my cloud hosted server from Valheim to 7D2D. Playing on vanilla Navezgane and I can't help but wonder why is there a huge big world download when joining the server for the first time? The world file ships with the game, yet it's downloaded from the server. Couldn't there be like, uh, a checksum verification or something, that would allow using an existing world file (or a copy of it) if they match?

I actually thought this would already be the case.

Though if it isn't this still might be a case of a nice feature that is so optional that they won't find the time to implement it. Since so many other desirable features are waiting for implementation.

Most servers use a random gen world and the pregens will likely be removed eventually (if they succeed with their optimizations for world generation so it takes a lot less time than now).

You probably should post how long it takes for you to download navezgane. The developers and testers likely have very good internet connections and won't feel download a severe hindrance, especially since it is a one-time cost.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

You probably should post how long it takes for you to download navezgane. The developers and testers likely have very good internet connections and won't feel download a severe hindrance, especially since it is a one-time cost.

I think it was in the ball park of 4-5 minutes. My interwobs aren't complete potato/trash, usually speed test reports 100+ Mbps and regularly more. Then again, since game hosting is more ping sensitive than bandwidth sensitive, my cloud provider doesn't necessarily allocate a lot of bandwidth to the server, which could bring the world file download speed down?

5 hours ago, EastCitySurvivor said:

I think it was in the ball park of 4-5 minutes. My interwobs aren't complete potato/trash, usually speed test reports 100+ Mbps and regularly more. Then again, since game hosting is more ping sensitive than bandwidth sensitive, my cloud provider doesn't necessarily allocate a lot of bandwidth to the server, which could bring the world file download speed down?

The game hosting company I rented a server from a long time ago had rented their servers from a general hosting provider and that probably meant it got the standard but excellent internet connection everyone in the data center of the hosting provider got.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)