Fan fiction - my second story

Tahaan

<static.....>

<shhhhhhhhhhh......>

Good day everybody!  And we're back on air!  A massive thank you to Joel who proved very handy with that Wiretool of his.  He sorted out our broadcaster mulfunction in no time.  Should you ever need any help with electrical things, give him a call.

As always this is the one and only radio station transmitting in the apocalypse.  You're tuned in to 101.7 and, as per usual we have one record from the Beagles and one from our our beloved Marilyn. I also have a little surprise for you all.

I'm going to kick off today's broadcast with Happy Birthday.  For any new listeners who might not know: if you have any requests, just leave me a message with Rekt and I'll dedicate the song as per your instruction.

Yes ... a few people have been asking me about Rekt.  Hmmm.  So let me first play this song and then I'll share with you what I can.

<Scratchy record plays ...>

And that was Happy Birthday Mr President by Marilyn Monroe.  Please if you do find any more records while out looting, and you feel you would like to share it with the other listeners, leave it with Rekt.  I am sure you're all as tired as I am of just songs from these two records.

Yes, I promised I'd tell you about Rekt.  I know some of you hate the old geezer. Sure he's an arse and he doesn't pretend to be otherwise.  But have you ever stopped to ask why?

He's not one to share much of his story, and I gather that he has always been a bit of an outsider.  He used to be married to a lady named Krissy.  Krissy passed away due to complications after the birth of their daughter Laney.  This understandably caused Rekt no small amount of grief.  That was a couple of years before the apocalypse.  Most of you will remember the chaos and uncertainties and fears while people started to turn and you never knew who was who, when to run and when to hide.

The story goes on, about 5 years in Rekt had to go out to restock some vending machines.  He locked Laney up nice and safe, and yes she was just 7, but she knew how to handle her Desert Vulture.  I actually remember when Rekt gave her the DeeVee, she was 5 and it was her birthday present.  I had had dinner with him the night before and he showed it to me.  We cleaned it up good and I gave him a few more rounds of 44.

Laney was quite the crack shot.  I never saw her shoot but she certainly had a couple of kills scratched into her bed post.  

But something went wrong.  The Zeds must have smelled her.  They basically tore the entire building down to get at her.  When Rekt got back she was gone.  Twelve zeds lay dead in the house.  The DeeVee was empty.  She made every shot count.

Rekt could never forgive himself for not giving her something better.  His words to me "I just sold an Auto with a drum for two thousand dukes the day before.  Those dukes will never bring her back... but the Auto might have saved her"

Maybe that explains a little of why Rekt is such an arse.  Well on that note I do think it is time for something else.  

I'm dedicating this song to Laney.  And to Rekt, too, though I have never heard that he actually listens to the station.  But here's today's surprise for you all - a listener loaned me a record, so without further ado....

<Guitar music starts>

<Hurt by Johnny Cash's plays ...>

Archived