Additional Siren/Speakers

smitty

I think it'd be neat to have a modlet for additional speakers that play different sounds such as:
 - Tornado Siren

- Base Alarm

- Lab Alarm

- Intruder Alert

- Door Bell

Reason for the different sirens would be that in mods such as Darkness Falls where there is no time displayed, we can use the siren in conjunction with timed relays to know when night is approaching. So, we'd set the timed relay from 2000 to 2005 to play Tornado Siren to let the base know it is 2 hours till night time.

Door bell and Intruder alert would be options for motion sensor alarms that tell us what exactly is triggering it, i.e. zombie or player or ally

I was actually thinking of making this as a small mod. If you can find any “alert” sounds, that are “free” and specifically say they are free to use (or modify) for any use , post the links to them here.  I went through a lot of sounds on the Internet Archive (I have a sound mod) and found some for the siren that claim to be free and clear of copyright. Or the person claims ownership of them and set the license to “free for use”. So if you find them on the Internet Archive, I likely already have them. 

I can’t promise I can/will use them, but   Right now I only have about 4? Sounds that will likely work and will sound good enough.  

for the mod. I was thinking to craft the “different sounding siren” you use a vanilla siren as an ingredient, and maybe some electrical parts or something.  This way it will nicely fit into vanilla and will kinda gate it a little as you at least have to get a vanilla siren first.

5 hours ago, smitty said:

I’m unfamiliar with what Envato does/is, so I have a few questions:

- does Envato just provide a license to you or do they sell the sounds?

- Is there a license file I could include with the mod attributing the sounds as “yours” and the terms of the license? Usually people have to say what resources/parts of the mod are not to be publicly copied/used, because mods in general are easily copied/used and I would like to make this clear for these sounds.

edit: the questions above still apply, but from what I read, it might be easiest if I just package up the sounds for a mod (I’ll make it functional) and then I can send the mod back to you for your use/etc. via Dropbox or something. that way you can play it in your games/post it according to the license terms you have/etc. but I won’t be hosting it on my mods page/repo.  As it’s not licensed to me. Anyway, I might be able to put it together this weekend. I have no “main dev computer” power right now due to an ice storm but it should be back up soon. 

6 hours ago, doughphunghus said:

I’m unfamiliar with what Envato does/is, so I have a few questions:

- does Envato just provide a license to you or do they sell the sounds?

- Is there a license file I could include with the mod attributing the sounds as “yours” and the terms of the license? Usually people have to say what resources/parts of the mod are not to be publicly copied/used, because mods in general are easily copied/used and I would like to make this clear for these sounds.

edit: the questions above still apply, but from what I read, it might be easiest if I just package up the sounds for a mod (I’ll make it functional) and then I can send the mod back to you for your use/etc. via Dropbox or something. that way you can play it in your games/post it according to the license terms you have/etc. but I won’t be hosting it on my mods page/repo.  As it’s not licensed to me. Anyway, I might be able to put it together this weekend. I have no “main dev computer” power right now due to an ice storm but it should be back up soon. 

it is creative commons license but per their terms, as no payment is rendered i give you full use under my license for this mod and any therein from these sounds to use for mods not to be sold or used commercially,

there is no license attached but you may list smittylv as licensing user as co owner of mod for full brevity and any concerns per the license may be directed towards me at that usernam here or on that site

Archived