Noob Server Question

CAdolfan

I'm a noob when it comes to gaming servers so please bear with me.  My son and I currently play 7DTD multiplayer.   He starts the game and sends me an invite through steam to play the game and then we play no problem.  What I'd like to be able to play in the save whenever each of us wants to when the other isn't available so I assume a dedicated server will help us accomplish this.  If true what is the easiest way to accomplish this?

Local leftover computer with halfway decent proc and 16GB of RAM if possible, and a decent drive. Video card doesn't matter. You don't need another license. You can install/run for free. You can install Steam on it, login to your account to get a new copy installed for you or follow the instructions here - https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/7_Days_to_Die_Dedicated_Server. If you want others outside of your LAN to connect, you'll need the Port forwarding info. That's about it. I recommend rebooting the system every once in a while as memory leaks do occur from what I have observed. 

1 hour ago, Ti2xGr said:

Local leftover computer with halfway decent proc and 16GB of RAM if possible, and a decent drive. Video card doesn't matter. You don't need another license. You can install/run for free. You can install Steam on it, login to your account to get a new copy installed for you or follow the instructions here - https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/7_Days_to_Die_Dedicated_Server. If you want others outside of your LAN to connect, you'll need the Port forwarding info. That's about it. I recommend rebooting the system every once in a while as memory leaks do occur from what I have observed. 

Thanks for the response.  Okay so I need a PC with 16GB RAM and a SSD drive I'm assuming?

Just now, CAdolfan said:

Thanks for the response.  Okay so I need a PC with 16GB RAM and a SSD drive I'm assuming?

Ideally. You could probably get away with 8GB if you use a smaller map. Technically, the drive really doesn't matter, but it would help with stability. With this game in it's current state, anything helps. 

The longer the map/days progress, the more the RAM will start to matter.

If you want more guided help, I can have you join my discord and I can walk you through it/troubleshoot. I've setup servers both ways and am starting to get comfortable with it. I setup my first server for the exact same reason - to play with my kids.

Archived